PDA

View Full Version : Hi Randy, Question about Nitrite readings

Joboo
07/06/2004, 08:57 AM
Hi Randy,

I've be cycling 180lbs of Kaelini LR for the past 5 1/2 weeks in a separate 100g Rubbermade Vat. I have also tested throughout to keep an eye on the cycling process. Ammonia has spiked and now is 0. Nitrites spiked and have come down to .1 ppm. It has been there for about 5 days now. I have also tried 2 diffrerent test with similiar readings. Just wanted to know if there was anything that would cause false nitrite readings? The only additive I am using is Kalkwasser. As you can see I'm getting alittle impatient(not much) but am smart enough to know that good things come to those who wait :)

I also have been thinking of how I will be adding this rock to my 90g show tank. Please keep in mind I have no Liver stock at this point and that all my rock is being cure in s separate Vat.

Which would be best
1) Fill 90g and 75g sump with all new Saltwater get chemistry to match LR Vat and dump the LR in the 90g show tank without using any of the water from the LR vat.

2) Use 80g of the LR vat water combined with the rest of the water being fresh SW. I guess this would be like doing a 50 percent water change for those people who actually cure the LR in the tank.

Any advantages to either of these? I was thinking the 1st would eliminate all nitrates. I guess a small cycle may also develop but that is common from what I hear.

Thanks for your time!

John

Joboo
07/06/2004, 09:10 AM
Whoops! Just realized your on Vacation. Hope you have a wonderful Vacation :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/06/2004, 08:42 PM
I don't know of anything specific that would give a false nitrite reading, but perhaps the kit is not very accurate at 0.1 ppm. Does your new salt water show any nitrite?

FWIW, nitrite is not nearly as toxic as ammonia, and 0.1 ppm nitrite does not concern me, even if it is real. :)

I go with all new salt water, if possible, to get rid of the load of nitrate and phosphate that likely is present in the LR vat from the curing.