PDA

View Full Version : PH 7.88-7.98, can not increase

Sullivmw
07/05/2004, 07:14 PM
I am having a consistent problem with low PH, staying in the range of 7.88-7.98. I test with 2 different pinpoint monitors that are calibrated monthly.

I dose daily with Kalk, but ALK is now at 11dkh and calcium is near 480ppm

After reading several articles it seems that I have a CO2 problem in the house. The house is 3 years old and seems fairly airtight. I notice if I open the window for a day, soon after the PH will go up to 8.1+. Once the windows are closed, the PH will slowly fall back down. In the fall I had the windows open for weeks at a time and the PH would stay right at 8.2 - 8.3.

The problem is I live in the South where opening a window in the middle of summer is not an option. Is there anything else that I can try ?

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/05/2004, 08:02 PM
You can possibly bring in fresh air in an airline to a skimmer air inlet.

Are you replacing all evaporated water with saturated limewater (2 or more teaspoons lime per gallon)? No vinegar, right?

Are you adding any other alkalinity additives?

Sullivmw
07/06/2004, 07:53 AM
Randy -

I originally was using the ESV 2 part (original), the readings were about the same as they are now. When using it, if I dropped the dosages, then the Alk would go back to 11, but PH would go to around 7.79-7.9,

I am now using only Kalk water, about 2 teaspoons per gallon, I did try 1 teaspoon per gallon, it did not seem to make any changes.

I have not used any other supplement for Kalk for about 5 months. All evaporated water with Kalk, and no vinegar.

Water changes are every 3-4 weeks, approx 15%

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/06/2004, 08:16 AM
How are you measuring pH?

Some test kits read low, especially when old.

Sullivmw
07/06/2004, 08:23 AM
I have been using 2 different pinpoint PH monitors. I calibrate them monthly and they seem acurate. I have compared them with friends and they are about right on.

Also I have used them with only the batteries and had all power equipment off just to make sure interference was not an issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/06/2004, 09:19 PM
Other than fresh air and limewater, the options are rather limited.

1. You can add more lime as a slurry.

2. As long as the pH is below 8.1, you can up the alkalinity even further without causing increased abiotic precipitation of CaCO3. You could do that with the lime slurry, or B-ionic.

Just to be sure, you could check the pH meters in borax:

Borax pH Calibration
http://web.archive.org/web/20021015005420/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/2000/feb/bio/default.asp

If you cook with gas, you might use the vent whenever cooking (if you have one). That will help reduce ambient CO2 levels.