PDA

View Full Version : broken mercury therm... problem?

staticfishmonger
07/05/2004, 07:48 AM
not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but i figured your knowledge of chemistry and elements was at least a good place to start.
i use those cheapy glass thermometers for monitoring my tanks temp, and i also use a spare for my salt mixing bucket. well the other day my mother was checking out my stuff and knocked one off the washer. it broke on the floor and those little grey balls which i presume are mercury went everywhere. well she freaked out and wanted to call the fire dept or some professional person to clean it up as she was convinced that it was a terrible health risk. now i know mecury is dangerous stuff, but is it that big a deal with these little thermomitors. her crazy panic has caused me a little worry and so i thought i double check..

popsock
07/05/2004, 08:07 AM
Can you not just vacuum it up and throw them away? Don't touch them though, mercury I believe can get into your blood through your skin. Not sure though.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/05/2004, 08:47 AM
You sure it was a mercury thermometer (silver column of mercury) and not an alcohol thermometer (red or other color column) with lead or other metal balls on the bottom to weight it down?

If it really is mercury, that is a long term health risk. Don't touch it. Perhaps you can buy a mercury spill kit on line somewhere to help clean it up.

staticfishmonger
07/05/2004, 09:15 AM
it has red liquid up the center and grey little balls incased with what looks like wax. my mom assumed the grey balls were mercury i wasnt sure so i said i would check it out. and yeah i did vacuume up what i could but i think some went under the washer and dryer.

popsock
07/05/2004, 09:17 AM
Like Randy said, the balls would be mercury. Mercury is only solid at much below 0C temperatures I believe, so that's probably lead weights.

staticfishmonger
07/05/2004, 10:07 AM
thanks for your help, i had a feeling that was the case. i have seen mercury and i was pretty sure that wasnt it. i also looked up the company that makes the themometers and it said they do not contain mercury.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/05/2004, 03:05 PM
:thumbsup:

I'm glad you didn't have a toxic waste site to clean up. :D