PDA

View Full Version : cal and alk additives

pjwperth
07/04/2004, 12:53 PM
Hi randy and anyone else with any info could you please tell me what to add to my tank to raise cal and alk levels someone at my lfs told me it was the reason behind why my corals arent doing so well and why it is taking so long for my base rock to form coraline algae is this true:confused:

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/04/2004, 02:05 PM
It is true if the levels are too low.

The first step is to get calcium and alkalinity kits and see what levels you have. Raise one or both if necessary using calcium chloride and/or baking soda as described in this article:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Then pick a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive system for ongoing maintenance of these levels, unsing one of the systems described in this article (you can use other methods, if you prefer, but these are the best, IMO):

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

aquababy
07/04/2004, 02:08 PM
I use the Bionic two part sytem. One is to raise the Ca and the other to rase the ALK. Instructions on the containers enable you to add the right amounts to raise your levels to where they should be. There are other ways and other products used to raise these levels but I am happy with Bionic and have been using it since they started in business..

pjwperth
07/04/2004, 02:09 PM
thanks randy will get tested soon as possible and post results

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/04/2004, 02:17 PM
That sounds good, and I agree that B-ionic is a fine product. :)

pjwperth
07/04/2004, 02:22 PM
randy also using red sea marine success trace that contains the following elements:
l,Mo,Zn,V,As,Ti,Ni,Cr,Mn,Co,Se,W,Ge,Ag,Bi,Sb,Sn,Nb,Be,Au,In,Y
does this effect anything and also it worth using
using 5ml a week in a 38gal tank less with lr and sand .Directions say 5ml a week in 30 gal

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/04/2004, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't use a combination additive like that. There is no evidence that you need most of those, and you may already have too much of some of them. There is no known biological use for some of them. :)

pjwperth
07/05/2004, 01:57 AM
My friend who has a similar setup just slightly larger but less rock uses this and red sea vita and his tank is cutting sick all his corals are thriving and multiplying like theres no tommorrow only other difference is the fact he uses fluros instead of mh

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/05/2004, 08:30 AM
It is very hard to compare aquaria as there are actually many differences that may not be apparent, but almost no one that has stopped such a mixed additive has seen a negative result.