PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus EX skimer

Ribbon_Eel2520
07/04/2004, 12:29 AM
I've just started my aquarium(70 gallons) last week (Sunday June 27th). Everything seems to be working fine "but" the skimmer. I am aware that the skimmer is not suposed to produce any foam until it begins to mature.

I believe my concern is that for now is producing foam but not enough like to push it to the top of the chamber. I have a Rio 1200 at 0' ft distance from the skimer. The water level in the sump (30g) is below the valve exit.

Should I be concerned in regards to buying another pump?

Hammy71
07/04/2004, 06:53 PM
I have a mag 12 on my ex. The skimmer is sitting about 10" higher than the pump. I almost have too much pressure and I had to restrict the flow of the pump. I'm not allowed to buy any Rio pumps (wife says they're junk and I tend to agree....)

crrichey
07/04/2004, 07:09 PM
It is normal for a skimmer to produce foam, but it may be too light for now, that is why it is not emptying into the cup. Once your aquarium begins to cycle, this will no longer be a problem. I also agree that the Rio pump is not worth your money, you should invest in a better pump.

Ribbon_Eel2520
07/19/2004, 06:33 PM
Sadly I will have to agree with your version of the Rio pumps. It hasn't failed or anything but I had another tank where a powerhead failed me once and it electrocuted me. Not that badly but I did felt the shock. The fish made it through. Iwas not aware that this brand really sucked.

I found a new dealer that I kind of thrust way much more than the other one. All of their live stock is amazing and in extremly good health. He also did not recommend the Rio brand.

What brands have worked for you personaly?