PDA

View Full Version : Large Tank on Concrete Apartment Floor

Fredfish
07/02/2004, 11:52 AM
Anyone know how much load a concrete floor can hold? I want to set up a 180 gallon tank in my apartment.

I have searched here and read many threads, and while there may be many opinions on the subject, I have not found a single post with any sort of difinitive answer.

Fred.

TANGBOY5000
07/02/2004, 12:04 PM
Do you know how thick the floor is? If it's to code then you should have no problems. I've got a 120 on wooden floors in an old apartment building.

TANGBOY5000
07/02/2004, 12:27 PM
Okay, code is around 6" from what I can gather. That is more than enough to hold your tank, just don't put it in the middle of the floor.

Fredfish
07/02/2004, 12:56 PM
I would imagine the building is to code. Any idea what the load factor is for a concrete floor. I would love to set the tank up so it is viewable from three sides, but that means extending the tank out from the wall.

Fred.

TANGBOY5000
07/02/2004, 01:12 PM
You need a structural engineer for that. There are some on here. Start a new thread with "Structural Engineers Help Needed!" they are usually pretty quick to respond.

camarojweed
07/02/2004, 03:05 PM
Confused why you are asking this question...But...a 180 gallon tank is childs play for a concrete floor, unless there are significant defects there shouldn't be even a small issue with this. You see peple all the time with tanks that big on the first floor and that is usually subfloor and wood/tile/whatever and a basement below...hope this helps but the 180 isn't that much load for a concrete floor.

pogodzib
07/02/2004, 04:34 PM
Long answer: The minimum strength of concrete used is 3000 psi, usually closer to 3500 psi. If I recall correctly from taking some structural classes, unreinforced concrete will crack at about 10% of it's ultimate strength, which means that the concrete shouldn't crack unless it has more than 300 psi of stress on it. All of this does depend on the thickness of the concrete floor and the soil properties underneath. Maybe I'll pull out some old class notes and try to recall beter. I have seen 125gal tanks setup on first floors spanning 3 joints with no additional support installed. I wouldn't recommend it, but the wood floor held up just fine.

Short answer: Set up you tank and don't worry about it.

pogodzib
07/02/2004, 04:39 PM
One other thing, you should double check with you landlord before setting up a tank that large in an apartment. Most landlords won't allow it. I'd hate to see you buy a large setup just to have to sell it right away.

scrummyotool
07/03/2004, 01:10 AM
DONT FORGET RENTERS INSURANCE IT GOES GREAT WITH BIG TANKS IN APARTMENTS

Putawaywet
07/03/2004, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by pogodzib
One other thing, you should double check with you landlord before setting up a tank that large in an apartment. Most landlords won't allow it. I'd hate to see you buy a large setup just to have to sell it right away.

Yep, check your rental agreement as many have clauses governing "wet" furniture items such as fish tanks and water beds.

We require our tennants to post an additional deposit to cover our end of things in the event they decide to start leaking.

Brett

TANGBOY5000
07/03/2004, 08:06 AM
I always go with the "It's easier to get forgivness than permission" philosophy. Set it up, then let your LL see it. Mine was so impressed that he didn't even bring up leaking until a week later, and by then it was too late to ask me to take it all down.

Fredfish
07/03/2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I didn't think I needed to worry. As for rental restrictions, I can't put a laundry line on the balcony but thats about it. I guess elephants in the bedroom and big tanks in the livingroom are ok. :D

I will be getting contents insurance from my insurer as soon as I order the tank. .

Thanks again.

Fred.

TheUPSguy
07/04/2004, 11:25 AM
i have a 125 on the 3rd floor no problems.