PDA

View Full Version : Another one of those threads...

rbattle
07/01/2004, 10:49 PM
Ok Randy, I am stumped. I have read all of your pH threads for months now, and I am always amazed at your patience and intellegence. However, after being enlightened, I still cannot figure out my problem.

I have a pH that stays at 7.9 all the time. I dose full strength kalk for all of my topoff water. I also run a calcium reactor. I have a somewhat leaky house, and I leave a window close to the tank open all the time. I don't know what else to do to raise the tank pH. I am thinking of running a fan all the time to get more kalk into the tank, good idea? Other than that, I have run out of ideas. I would like to stay at or above 8 if I can.

Thanks so much for the help!

Rush

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/02/2004, 07:51 AM
However, after being enlightened, I still cannot figure out my problem.

:D

OK, let's see what we can come up with. :)

In your case, the CO2 from the reactor may be overpowering the limewater, and driving the pH down.

How are you measuring pH?

How much limewater does that end up being each day?

What is the CaCO3/CO2 rector effluent pH?

rbattle
07/02/2004, 08:27 AM
I knew I forgot stuff.

pH is measured by Milwaukee meter. I have been calibrating with 7 and 10 reference packets, and checking with borax to make sure. They are all check out perfectly.

As for how much limewater, I have no idea. I use an osmolator from a brute, so I do not really have a way to tell. It seems to be quite a lot. I have an open top, and a large sump that is open. A fan controlled by a temp controller is what I use for cooling. It generally runs about an hour a day.

The effluent from the reactor is 7.0. It is a two stage unit from MRC.

Thanks for the help!

Rush

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/02/2004, 09:04 PM
Hmmm. That all seems reasonable. About all that I can suggest is more aeration, and more limewater, perhaps via more fan time to increase evaporation.