PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser and the Calcium Reactor

RGibson
07/01/2004, 07:25 PM
Randy about a week ago i change over to a calcium reactor and quit useing B-ionic 2-part and kalkwasser mix.Water parameters ph 7.9 before the the lights come on calcium 400 ppm alkalinity 8.0 dkh is there any need to add kalkwasser? RGibson

Boomer
07/01/2004, 08:59 PM
Things look OK. What is your day pH and before lights go out ? You can expect a pH of around 7.9 before lights come on due to CO2 build. Single phase reactors often have a slighltly lower pH, if that is what you have. Many have this problem with a low pH and single phase reactors. You could drip some kalk at night to counter react this lower pH. You could also raise both your Alk and Ca up a tad. What is your salinity ?

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/01/2004, 09:46 PM
If you have the ability to drip limewater to raise the night time low pH, then I would do that, but pH 7.9 is not a big problem. :)

RGibson
07/02/2004, 08:11 AM
Boomer-salinity is 1.026 ph 8.2 Randy i have the ability to drip limewater at night Ralph

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/02/2004, 09:02 PM
You might try the limewater for a week and see what that does for pH. A pH of 7.9 is suboptimal for calcification, although there is no inherent reason that you need the conditions to be optimal for fastest growth to have a nice reef aquarium. :)