PDA

View Full Version : keeping fish out of the corner overflow

johns
07/01/2004, 05:42 PM
I finally got my first 2 small clowns yesterday. On of them seems to like the corner overflow box, since I found it inside of the box right after lights went out yesterday, and then again in the morning.

How am I going to keep it out of there? I already laid eggcrate across the top of the box. but I guess the fish can still fit through the teeth of the box and through the eggcrate holes. If it keeps doing that, I'm worried it might get sucked down the durso standpipe drain.

clownfish4
07/01/2004, 05:57 PM
Try some netting.

johns
07/01/2004, 06:17 PM
I was thinking about that. I was trying to figure out what kind to use and how to attach it.

Dz99ls
07/01/2004, 06:21 PM
plastic netting with zip ties might work

Coyle
07/01/2004, 06:21 PM
I think the egg crate is a better solution..i had netting on mine, but a damn hunk of chaeto decided to float on to it, and subsequently i had fun with the wetdry for a few hours when i got home..luckily everything in the tank was ok....

johns
07/01/2004, 07:19 PM
Egg crate is already there, laid across the top. It doesnt stop the fish from getting through the teeth in the overflow box.

johns
07/01/2004, 07:20 PM
any links to the type of netting that might work?

Coyle
07/01/2004, 07:26 PM
hmm..well..watch the macro if you put it in the display. Anyway, ive used screen that you can buy at hd or lowes that is used for screen doors and windows, pretty effective, durable, and doesnt rust.

mfinn
07/01/2004, 07:43 PM
Plastic gutter guard at home depot. Been using it in my overflows for years.

Questin
07/01/2004, 07:47 PM
get bigger fish =P

Dz99ls
07/02/2004, 08:07 PM
you could use any plastic netting like orange bags

Cannonball888
07/02/2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by mfinn
Plastic gutter guard at home depot. Been using it in my overflows for years.

I second that.

You can also make awesome strainers for standpipes and siphon tubes with this: http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/8559/cid/2079

phishlet
07/02/2004, 09:47 PM
I've used the black synthetic fiber screen stuff that's like netting but not quite as fine. I think I got it at Home Depot. It comes in sheets and is very flexible but can be bent into shapes somewhat. I assume your overflow has the "teeth" configuration. If so, just cut a small piece of the black screen and work it around the teeth alternating every other tooth in front and back. It will then form a wall and stay in place but obviously water can flow through. It has stopped lettuce nudibranchs and other small creatures from passing through many a time.

I also use this black fiber netting to wrap around my powerhead intakes over the plastic part. Even though powerheads usually come with some sort of "strainer" the openings are often times still to wide which allows anemones and other inverts to get sucked in. The screen helps eliminate this.

Hope this helps.

johns
07/02/2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by phishlet
I've used the black synthetic fiber screen stuff that's like netting but not quite as fine.

phishlet-

that sounds like exactly what i want. is this the same as the 'gutter-guard' material described above? or is it something else? If it's at home depot, where would I find it there. What is it used for or what is it called?