PDA

View Full Version : some more questions for you guys (and gals)...

snowroach
07/01/2004, 12:06 AM
I posted this in the DIY section and haven't got a responce, so i'm posting it here-

"Well I'll be moving in late august and since I'll have my tank broken down I thought it would be a good time to go ahead and drill my tank for a overflow and return. The main question I have is a 29g Eclipse (I removed the s**ty eclipse hood and filtration)tempered or should it be ok to drill it? and also what size holes should I put in it for the overflow?"

Since I was just doing weekly water changes (which have become a pain) I want to now move to a sump/fug with a euroreef diy skimmer. I'm going to do this in stages and start with just a fug. What would be the best return pump for this setup?

Thanks

jdy22
07/01/2004, 12:22 AM
i think if it is tempered you can't drill it. If i'm wrong let me know.

culdublvd
07/01/2004, 12:52 AM
The bottom is probably tempered. Almost most tanks are. You can drill the back though. The bottom is usually the only piece tempered. That's why it's so much thinner then the rest of the pieces.

thereefgeek
07/01/2004, 07:40 AM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234382&highlight=drilling+glass

This thread has some good info for drilling glass. This guy even did it with water & fish still in the tank!:eek2: I thinking of setting up a couple of prop tanks, and I might try this method (empty, of course). As mentioned before, I think most bottoms are tempered, so if you try to drill the bottom it'll shatter. Just remember to use a spray bottle to keep the bit and glass cool. It'll cut faster and the bit will last longer. Depending on your return pump, a 3/4" bulkhead should be fine, just keep about an inch or so below the top frame, cause if you get too close to the edge of the glass it may crack. Good luck.

Bamm Bamm
07/01/2004, 10:49 AM
drill it in the back wall.. I did with my acrylic 55.. Worked well.. my new 90 is in the bottom though and the overflow box takes up 3x the space

snowroach
07/01/2004, 12:22 PM
cool, it should be fine then. I think I'm goign to drill two holes on the back one for return and one for the overflow. With the over flow I think I'm going to make a 1" pipe conected to a elbow pointed up with slits cut into it since I want it to be surface skimming. Think this would be to loud?