PDA

View Full Version : Two-spot Gobies!!!!!!!

gofor100
06/30/2004, 11:04 PM
Alright, have had my 60 gallon, 3 inch deep sand bed, 108 lbs LR, wanna-be reef tank set up now for a little over a month. Although, the rock was already cured when I put it into the tank, and the tank was already cycled within 2 weeks with stable parameters for about another week until I added my first awesome fish (Bill the Yellow Longnose butterflyfish). He has been doing great for about 2 weeks and I am about to add my second additions to the tank, a pair of black and white percula clowns!

On to my question, I am REALLY interested in getting some two spot gobies for my tank, but have heard the starvation problem that many people run into when buying these fish. Do you think that I would be able to maintain a pair or even one of these wonderful little fish in my tank (knowing that I would have to wait a little while until my pod population is larger). Any experiences with the gobies eating other foods such as brine shrimp, mysis, etc?

Also, since I have a little quarantine tank set up for all incoming fish, how would they survive in my small sandless 10 gallon tank for one week?

gofor100
07/01/2004, 12:07 AM
Anyone with any suggestions? Any advice would be great.

milhouse74
07/01/2004, 02:10 AM
You should have them in a pair, so if you dont maintane them in a pair, dont get em. I hear they dont last long in captivity alone.

templar_1109
07/01/2004, 06:23 AM
I never heard that twinspot gobies need to be in pairs, also that they are pod eaters. I bought one and the reading I did never said anything about pods or pairs. I have had one for 3 weeks, I see him sifting all day but never see him eat anything. I was told at the LFS that they will eat brine shrimp but have never seen him hit one. like I said I've had him in a 4 month old tank for 3 weeks and have seen him poop once so hes eating something but his belly dont look full, doubt I have a pod population yet. I'll give you a list of everything I feed my tank.....doubt it helps but I thouth I'd share

brine shrimp
bloodworms
formula 2 pellet and frozen
prime reef flake and frozen
marine delight frozen
sea veggies (dry seaweed bits)
shrimp pellets

I think thats it, something in there he's eating. if I see him eat something I'll post on here again. good luck

milhouse74
07/01/2004, 12:29 PM
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Q9nwGxdWUJYJ:www.wetwebmedia.com/gobies.htm+twinspot+goby+pairs&hl=en

Signogobius ocellatus Hoese & Allen 1977, the Twinspot or Crab-Eye Goby. Indo-Australian; Philippines, Micronesia, GBR. To less than three inches in length. Always found in pairs in the wild, rarely lives in captivity. This one in a wholesaler's cubicle. Feeds on interstitial fauna by sifting sand through its mouth.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:BSrA_XsuN38J:homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mostert/underwater/underwaterphotography/SolomonIslands/twinspot%2520goby.htm+twinspot+goby+pairs&hl=en

Twinspot Goby or Crab-eyed goby. Distinct dorsal fin ocelli. Adults lives in pairs, simulating sideways crab movement

I had read somewhere, Maybe the Conscientious Marine Aquarist maybe anopther book while I was at Barnes and Noble, that the reason it is beleived they dont last as long in captivity is due to the fact that they are kept in non pairs often, and that pairs seem to have longer lives. That in the wild they "mate up", and that this is beleived to be important for them.

David

gofor100
07/01/2004, 11:21 PM
Alright, thanks for the feedback... so now that it doesn't look like they will survive in my tank, then are there any other sandsifting gobies that might thrive in my tank, and are still fun to watch? If not, what fish would you recommend to get that stay near the bottom or scott around on the live rock (just so that I have fish in different columns of the water)

milhouse74
07/02/2004, 12:35 AM
I love my red lip blenny. My favorite fish actually. A lot of character, scoots all around the rocks exploring, an all around great fish. Check them out.

If you add a decent size refugium, you can probably pull off the 2spots. Get a pair of them if you can, and just wait until the time is right.

milhouse74
07/02/2004, 08:08 PM
I found it. In the book The Consientious Marine Aquarist on Page 295 under the picture of them it says:
" Twinspot Gobies (Signigobius biocellatus): Typically occur in pairs in the wild, and single individuals are reported to perish in captivity."

I really love this fish, and plan to some day build a tank that can support a pair.

Just so you know. They are a wonderful fish, but they do require extra care.
David

milhouse74
07/02/2004, 11:01 PM
Okay, maybe I will never have one. Check out this tarting about mid page they talk about twinspots.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207357&perpage=25&pagenumber=2