PDA

View Full Version : Help Please With Hlle!!!

KAISERSOZE28
06/30/2004, 10:10 PM
I can not figure out what to do, any help will be greatly appreciated. I have a reef tank with all the parameters checking ok. It is a 90 gallon with 10 gallon sump and a kick *** protein skimmer. I have 3 green chromis, clownfish, yellow wrasse, royal gramma, flame angel, brown scopas tang, regal tang, and a coral banded shrimp as well as a cleaner shrimp oh yeah and my favorite a pearly jawfish. My problem is my royal gramma and regal and a green chromis have hlle around the head area. My royal has hads it or 7 months now. Not getting worse but not getting better either. My regal who i bought 5 months ago has had it for @ 2 months. my green chromis the same. This is what I have done do far. I bought a fan to get the temp down to 79 f instead of 83. I removed all my carbon when i ran 24/7 with 2 bags in the sump. I also bought and installed a electric probe. I have been soaking my pellets with zoe and leaving seaweed for my tangs to eat throughtout the day. I have also been doing water cahnges for 1 month now of 15 gallons every week. I am completely stumped on how to get rid of annoying disease. My tang has it the worst and I am concerned for him the most. My angel looks like it may have traces on him as well noticeably when the blue light is on in am and pm. Is there anything I have missed please help frustrated in tampa, James

jwm2k3
07/01/2004, 06:20 PM
My first guess would be stress from there being TOO MANY FISH IN THAT TANK.

Just one of your tangs will outgrow that 90.

It seems like you are taking the right steps to correct this, but there are too many fish in there.

Good Luck, I hope you take some of them back.

John :)

nickiwit
07/02/2004, 12:25 AM
Are you feeding them a varied diet? I saw that you are soaking their pellets in zoe. Is that all that you are feeding them besides seaweed?

clown2be
07/02/2004, 01:22 AM
When I 1st saw your post I had all the answers, But in your write up you answered them.Quote "The New Marine Aquarium" Seaweed soaked with a liquid vitamin containing A,C,and D (iodine may help also)" end Quote. Seems only one you missed is Iodine. Do you dose iodine at all. I have used Kent Iodine did 8 drops per day in my 110g with no ill effects.

clown2be
07/02/2004, 01:39 AM
Also about not running carbon. HLLE says to much carbon can cause HLLE.Rec.2 table spoons per 10 gal. and may increase over months up to 4 table spoons per 10gal. keep running you carbon but lighten up . The iodine did work for my flame angle.

KAISERSOZE28
07/02/2004, 09:29 PM
I went out nd bought a voltage meter nothing abnormal there. I also feed them the prepackaged frozen cusines. I use 4 in one which is shrimp, emeral someting, squid and bloodworms. I found a scallop that died in my tank (i put it in for fun) so I yanked it out (smelled breally bad) My ammonia levels so trace but not very much. I am still doing my water changes and hippo tang is starting to look really bad i fell like S&^%. Thanks for the responses I am starting to get frustrtated. Can fish get hlle from low oxygen levels ( i am reaching I know) I have 3 powerheads that come on and off throughtout the day and stay quiet atnight. Is there any medication I can use for hlle? I have my tank for 1 1/2 years and never a poblem till now. Please anybody have any more info out there. Thakns for your responses James

clown2be
07/02/2004, 10:02 PM
In my book on fish health it does not say anything about a medication for HLLE.

MargaritaMan
07/02/2004, 10:08 PM
My 180 is overstocked (nine tangs + a lot of other fish) and ALL I feed is nori. As many as five sheets a day. So maybe it is stress and maybe it isn't. Maybe it is food and maybe it isn't.

I would look more along the water quality. I'm a big fan of TropicMarin salt even though it costs more, but then again others use IO with good results.

I don't think there is a panacea for your hlle problem. Change one thing at a time and be patient.

Personally I would just feed them nori as it is high in vitamins and low polluting, but that is just me. Good Luck, MM

Here is a couple of my team that eat nothing but nori.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/523/15132mini-DSCN0014.JPG

Dz99ls
07/03/2004, 07:57 AM
another possibility could be stray voltage? add grounding probe