PDA

View Full Version : Garbage Cans for water storage

Michael950
06/30/2004, 08:58 PM
Mr.,Dr., Prof. Randy Holmes-Farley,

QUOTE:
This is the type of system that I use. I make up limewater in a 44-gallon Rubbermaid Brute trashcan by putting the CaO in the bottom, and pouring in water by 5-gallon buckets. That process takes about 5 minutes once every 2-3 weeks. The trashcan is closed by simply putting on its lid. The pump that sends the water to the sump is a Reef-Filler pump (maximum pumping rate 3 gallons per day), which is controlled to match the evaporation rate using a float switch in my sump.

-Randy Holmes-Farley (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.htm)

If I purchase a 44-gal or 55-gal trash can for use with my fish tank, what do I need to do to make sure it is safe for tank use (cleaning/sterilizing)?
[initial (after purchase) use, and thereafter]

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/30/2004, 09:10 PM
If possible, I'd get a Rubbermaid Brute can (heavy duty, grey).

Washing it with soap (NOT an antibacterial soap) and warm water, then a lot of water rinsing should do the trick. If you put water in it, and froth it around, all bubbles should rapidly pop. If not, it needs more rinsing.

Michael950
06/30/2004, 09:14 PM
I understand, continue rinsing to ensure ALL soap is gone.

Does this hold true for all containers?

I also assume it is best to use containers that have never had anything in them before.
[like no pesticides or herbicides]

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/30/2004, 09:27 PM
Yes, best to use new containers, or those that help food items (some folks have used olive or pickel barrels, for example).

I wouldn't use any container that claimed to be treated to prevent mildew or anything else along those lines. Any that claimed to be suitable for food use should be OK (if they are strong enough).

Michael950
06/30/2004, 09:48 PM
So then no Microban trash can? :(

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/01/2004, 06:55 AM
Yes, I'd avoid that. The chemicals may leach out and stress organisms.