PDA

View Full Version : Kent Lugol's Solution (Iodine)

JoeMack
06/30/2004, 08:09 PM
I just realised I payed $18.99 for 1 fl oz. / 30mL DI water, potassium iodide, and iodine. I know it will last me a LONG time, but still $20? Is there there a to make your own? Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/30/2004, 09:05 PM
I personally don't like the idea of using I2 for dosing (is that what you want it for, or disinfecting corals and such?).

For those who want to dose iodine (I do not), I'd use iodide, such as that sold by ESV:

http://www.esvco.com/prod8.html

bigzman
07/02/2004, 04:54 PM
Randy,

What about for a dip. Would you use it for that? or would you still use the ESV. I got this to for dipping a brain coral that went south.

Regards,
ZC

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/02/2004, 09:31 PM
I've never dipped anything, but I- is not a useful dip, and you'll need some form of I2 for that. Other than Lugols from a local Pharmacy (you may need a prescription in some states), I don't know of any cheap sources of I2.

Hobster
07/02/2004, 11:37 PM
Randy and Bigzman, I copied this from Dr Mac and Sons web site on iodine for dipping. I know nothing about it but thought I would throw it out for the Drs to debate:D but this would not be good for your brain either.

D. Place SPS corals (DO NOT dip soft corals, LPS corals, anemones, or clams!!) in an iodine based dip as a biosecurity measure to help insure that pathogens are not added to your tank. Add 15-20 drops of Tincture of Iodine (available at most drug stores in the antiseptic section) to a liter of tank water and allow the acclimating animals to stay in this dip for 15 minutes, or use a commercial coral dip as directed by the manufacturer. Rinse the animals with tank water prior to placing them in your tank. Caution: do not allow dip water into your tank!! A small low volume powerhead should be added to the acclimation and dip container to provide valuable circulation. You must insure that the containmer water remains at the same temp. as the tank during acclimation.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/03/2004, 06:58 AM
Thanks, Hobster. :)