PDA

View Full Version : Which Test kit?

FuriaReef
06/30/2004, 09:16 AM
I need to buy a test kit, I did search but did not find out too much. The kit I was goiung to get was Red sea, or Aquarium systems Fast test. I would like to get the salifert but is a lot more for the kit.

artful-dodger
06/30/2004, 09:33 AM
The classic problem...do I buy the best right away or spend less now and then later have to buy the best and end up spending more in total. For some things (pumps, skimmers) it clearly makes sense to invest up front because the best will last for years.

Test kits may be a little less clear. First, many test kit reagents have a limited shelf life and will need to be replaced (if not used) within a year or two anyway. Second, you will use up the test kit's contents and need to replace them anyway.

If you're just starting and don't plan to keep exotic, delicate fish or corals immediately, then buying one of the less expensive kits is probably fine. They might not be as accurate, but they are close enough for a start.

You will find that you use up certain tests within the kit much more quickly than others. Rather than re-purchase a multi-test kit when the first bottle runs out, consider replacing just that one test with the Salifert.

Similarly, the multi-test kits tend to have the standard tests, but perhaps not the more specialized ones. When you get to the point of keeping delicate species, invest in the appropriate kit for their needs.

As an example, I have one tank that is virtually fish only...the only inverts are some mushrooms and snails (things that the eel won't eat) I have seen no reason to ever bother testing calcium hardness or even alkalinity in that tank, let alone boron or magnesium!