PDA

View Full Version : PH 9.01, Help!

kmagyar
06/29/2004, 03:53 PM
My alkalinity was low, very low due to a failure at my b-ionic doser. I was unaware that the PH was that high because my probe was too old and read 11 something. Anyways, I just added a new lab grade probe to my AC2 and after calibrating twice, I am getting 9.01! My alk is 11 now with CA at about 475. I am using b-ionic daily and seachem builder weekly. What else can I do but very large water changes?

JoeMack
06/29/2004, 06:02 PM
Carbonated water will drop the ph. Get a 2L bottle of it and pour some in a little at a time. You could do water changed, but your levels are not that bad. If you do a search on carbonated water you can see that its safe. I used it last week actually. Good luck. Is your tank freaking out? Mine was at 8.8 and nothing looked bad.

JoeMack
06/29/2004, 06:02 PM
finger spaz

JoeMack
06/29/2004, 06:03 PM
finger spaz

thackray
06/29/2004, 06:21 PM
Joe,

Can you buy carbonated water that does not have sugar added or is the sugar not a problem?

Keith,

I'm fighting slightly high pH. Turned fuge light off at 5:00PM (pH8.5) one and one half hour later tank's at pH 8.44. Had I left the light on would be about pH 8.53 or so. Randy also suggested an air stone which I now have running. Fortunately my tank partner has a fresh water background so we had one lying arround. I don't think salt water people use the air stones much.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/29/2004, 08:55 PM
The alkallinity is 11 dKH or 11 meq/L?

The former is not an issue, and more aeration or some soda water will bring the pH down rapidly. I'd also be suspect of the pH measurement if the alkalinity is 11 dKH. I'd confirm that pH measurement with another method, possibly testing the probe in borax solution:

Borax pH Calibration
http://web.archive.org/web/20021015005420/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/2000/feb/bio/default.asp

If the alkalinity is 11 meq/l, that is a serious problem that even soda water won't help more than temporarily. This article will help correct that alkalinity (by water change or calcium addition) and the ph will then fall in line:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

kmagyar
06/29/2004, 10:12 PM
Randy, My alk is measured in DKH. I tested it again tonight with 2 different salifert kits and my alk is now 9.0 DKH, ALK 480, PH 9.02. I also dosed b-ionic earlier.

JoeMack
06/29/2004, 11:30 PM
Trust me on the carbonated water. It will lower you ph. I think tonic water might have additional goodies in it, but generic soda water should be ok. I make my own so I really can't help you much on brands etc. Good Luck.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/30/2004, 07:25 AM
If the alkalinity is 9 dKH, then I would not add anything to reduce the pH as I am suspiciuous that it is not real at pH 9.

Simple aeration will bring it down if real, and if not, then you haven't harmed anything. Too much soda water to bring down a false reading would do mor eharm than good.

Try aerating a cup of water with an airstone for an hour and see what the pH changes to. If it drops to pH 8.3 or swo, then the pH of 9 is likely real. If it stays at ph 8.8 - 9, then it probably isn't accurate.

kmagyar
06/30/2004, 10:01 PM
Randy, Its real. I aerated a small bucket of tank water for one hour, dropped the probe in and it reads 8.3 on the nose.

Aeration would make perfect sense if I did not have a skimmer. I should mention that my skimmer is a lifereef model which pulls the air from the collection cup causing negative pressure on the skimmer foam. I disconnected that and it is now taking air directly from the area. Should that help or will areation in the display be necessary?

jdieck
06/30/2004, 10:11 PM
You can aereate the sump and/or Refugium.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/01/2004, 07:01 AM
Its real. I aerated a small bucket of tank water for one hour, dropped the probe in and it reads 8.3 on the nose.

Well, that's to bad, but at least it is clearly high now. Just one final obsession, did you measure the before and after pH of the aerating water in the same place with the same meter on the same power supply? Some folks have seen interference from lights and such that alter pH values (often higher) when certain meters are near (or plugged in near) certain lights.

More aeration, some soda water, or some vinegar can be used to bring it down. I'd prefer soda water, but add it slowly and monitor the pH in real time. Aerating anywhere in the system will help.

kmagyar
07/01/2004, 02:46 PM
Randy, I measured a small bucket in my sump after aerating it for about an hour using the same probe under the same conditions.

I will do a 10 gallon water change tonight to see if that helps. What type of soda water is best? What if it has sugar in it?

kmagyar
07/01/2004, 06:28 PM
Ahhhhaaa! Heres the deal. When I came home today, I dropped the small bucket back in and before doing anything else, I tested the ph and to my surprise, it was 8.34. I dropped it back into the sump and it was 9.3! After a minute of thought I first took the serial cable off of the AC2 and the reading went right down to 8.34. I realize that that makes little sense. Right? But at least I know my PH is on. I guess investing in the isolated serial cable may be worth doing.

Randy, thanks for all of your help on the issue. Your time is much appreciated.

jdieck
07/01/2004, 08:41 PM
Yes, a ground loop can do funny things.....

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/01/2004, 09:44 PM
Now we have a solution that I am happy with. :)

You might find this thread useful:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344393