PDA

View Full Version : 600ppm Calcium - Dangerous ?

SanFranTodd
06/26/2004, 04:10 PM
For some reason my nano is showing 600ppm Calcium levels (tested 4 times b/c I couldn't believe it) - is that hazardous? I have not been using any supplements and was planning a water change today...

SG 1.025
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0.1
Temp 78.6F
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/26/2004, 05:54 PM
The biggest risk of calcium at 600 ppm is low alkalinity.

Do you know the alkalinity?

This article may help:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

FWIW, ammonia at 0.1 ppm is a significant concern. Is this a new tank?

Freed
06/26/2004, 05:59 PM
Don't try to raise the alk quickly. That may cause the calcium to precipitate out of solution and this may cause your tank to crash. I could be mistaken but am passing on what I have learned elsewhere. Is this correct Randy? Freed

SanFranTodd
06/26/2004, 06:06 PM
The tank was recently created from the stock of a 55g (water, LR, coral, and sand). I was warned of an initial ammonia spike from the disturbance of the sand bed, but am unsure what caused the calcium spike. My alk test kit is sub-optimal, only giving "low/med/high" readings. It's showing "med" at the moment. I am about to do a 20% water change...

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/26/2004, 08:48 PM
I could be mistaken but am passing on what I have learned elsewhere.

That depends on what you add to raise it. If you add bakigng soda, that's not a concern. High pH alkallinity additives (like washing soda) do pose such a concern.

SanFranTodd:

Try measuring the calcium on the fresh salt water. Also, what brand is it?

SanFranTodd
06/26/2004, 09:06 PM
I have always used Coralife salt with good results, I am testing with a Red Sea Calc test kit. The fresh mix tests @ 450ppm (I also have a several year old reef that tests 400ppm - so I know it's not the kit).

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/26/2004, 09:12 PM
It's odd that the tank would read so high then. I'd just keep on doing normal water changes and maintaining alkalinity, and the calcium will decline.