PDA

View Full Version : MRC-CR-1 Question

Andrewsreef
06/26/2004, 08:27 AM
Anyone using this reactor? I just set it up last night. I have had some question but I think Andy at MRC must be tied up or I am having email problems with my Internet Provider (started emailing him with questions 4 days ago and have not heard back).

I was having a bit or a problem last night getting the lid of the reactor to stop leaking. I realy had to crank it down as much as I could by hand as he says no wrenchs (in a star pattern of course). It seems to have stoped for the most part except when I adjust the effluent rate it seems to seep out a little. Anyone else have this issue with this reactor?

I have my buble count at 1 drop per 3 secs. I have my drip rate (efluent) at 60 drips per minute. How soon until I notice the Alk increasing? My Effluent has a PH in the 6.9-7.0 range this AM. THe manual with the reactor says it could take a week for the Alk to increase? That seems very odd?

I have a high demand tank so I am hoping this thing will kick in soon.

If anyone has experience with dialing in this reactor, please advise.

Thanks

Andrew

MIKE NY
06/26/2004, 08:43 AM
Hi I just set up my MRC CR-2 this week and mine was leaking also. I used plumbers tape on all the fittings and sqeezed the top plate down and hand tightened. It still leaks alittle, but it will stop once some gunk builds up. I started with an effluent rate of about 60ml per min and a bubble rate of 60 per min with a constant PH of 7.0. I'm using a two parter( Bi-onic) to help keep the cal & alk up until I can dial in the reactor to steady those numbers.

Andrewsreef
06/26/2004, 09:01 AM
I drip limewater 24/7 and I am using reef builder and reef complete until mine kicks in. The leaking is really odd and should not be happening. Mine seems to have stopped for now but I really cranked it down.

Thanks for the info.

Andrew

georgiajams
06/26/2004, 10:42 PM
My CR-1 doesn't leak. I did tighten it fairly tight, but only "hand tight" (no tools). What are you using to pump the effluent (not the recirc pump)? I use a MJ1200. Maybe if it is a large pump, it is putting too much pressure? Just a wild guess. Check the o-ring. Maybe use some vaseline to help seal it if it is still a problem.

Andy has been on vacation. I think he gets back this weekend.

Andrewsreef
06/26/2004, 10:58 PM
I am using the little pump he sold me with the kit. We had a 4 hour power outage and the little pump is not very reliable. It would not start back up once I got power. I had to mess with it for about an hour to get it going. I think I am going to replace it with a MaxiJet 1200 for reliability reason.

I am assuming this unit, once dialed in should not need to be adjusted after a power outage, correct? Everything was stired up real bad again once I got the pump running. ALso, my co2 drip rate had to be adjusted as it changed also.

Not sure why this thing is still leaking some. Not much but enough to bug me.

Thanks

Andrew

georgiajams
06/26/2004, 11:15 PM
My effluent needs adjusting from time to time (maybe 2 times a week I might tweak it very slightly). It's like the needle valve on the effluent over time gets a little clogged from little bits of media.

Bubble rate is pretty constant. So long as the pressure guage is adjusted to 10lb, bubbles stay constant.

Should all stay stable through a power outtage. It did take a few hours to get the line between the MJ1200 and the reactor free of air. Once air-free, it will work better. Give it a day or two.

I've only had it for 2.5 mos, so my experience is limited.