PDA

View Full Version : Ocelleris Woes

AP7x
06/25/2004, 11:45 PM
Hello

My clownfish pair (just two ocelleris from a tank fulll of them bought from the LFS) have been doing well for a month and a half now.

Just recently I noticed the one of them (the male) having the tailfin shredded a little at the tip. Thought they two may have quarreled so I left it alone at first. Then I noticed some skin liason on the left side of its body.
A few days later, the other female clownfish started getting what looked like finrot on its tailfin.

Today, I noticed a small white liason on the female and another liason on the top of the head of the male. There is also a little white blotch that appeared on the female's fin, and the male's tailfin has white streaking into it from the tip.

Water check showed 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, with ~12 nitrates.

I added a Rose BTA last week...they haven't hosted yet but seemed to be getting closer. I thought perhaps that first liason was from the anemone burning it?

However, recently I tried to catch a peppermint shrimp with a net. Failed, but wont make this mistake again of putting the net in the tank because it freaked the clownfish out. Also had to rearrange the rockwork to keep LT plate away from the Rose BTA. I thought perhaps the stress from the net + rockwork caused the finrot to happen. Heard good water and feeding would have the clownfish heal on its own...so going for that.

I also noticed the following, which is the reason I call one male and other female. Today, I noticed the female striking at the male... and at first it seemed he struck back, but then started doing the seizure shaking...which I read was the submissive act. Would this be adding stress as well? Also, can the female cause liasons on the male?

This is my story...anyone up for suggestions? I also searched on this forum....I'm thinking maybe I should try a formalin bath just in case it is Brooklynellosis?

Thanks...I really dont want to lose these fish since they are my pioneers into the reef world. =(

AP7x
06/27/2004, 09:26 AM
thats LESIONS not LIASONS =X

Doni
06/27/2004, 11:16 AM
Don't add any chemicals to the main tank; always quarantine when medicating. I don't think you need to medicate them though. They are just figuring out who is going to be the dominate female ;) and a few injuries could occur.

What size is your tank? what other inhabitants do you have? Any aggressive fish, shrimp, crab or starfishes?

How is the new anemone doing? <-- it's a good indicator of water quality.

AP7x
06/27/2004, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I was hoping with some water changes and good food (went out and got a whole variety =P inc mysis, brine, clam, squid, etc) they will get back on their feet...fins..watever

The tank itself is a 12g Nanocube...

Only other inhabitants are a peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, snails...

The Rose BTA is doing great...inflated and bubbled up nicely. A deep crimson red too =D

Anyways, we'll see what happens...thanks for ur help

kayl
06/27/2004, 06:51 PM
what lighting do you have in that cube?

AP7x
06/27/2004, 11:20 PM
The lighting is the stock 24w PC bulb with a 32w retrofit PC next to it.

kayl
06/28/2004, 12:13 AM
how hard was the retro to fit? I'm looking @ picking up one of those tanks, but wanna make sure I can do a good job with it :-P