PDA

View Full Version : pH on the high side

impur
06/25/2004, 01:53 PM
I have a YWG that began to have a discoloring of the skin. I tested my water and all checks out fine. I took a sample of water to my LFS just to be sure. Everything was normal except the pH which tests at 8.8. Obviosly my test kit is old or crappy or both. At any rate, what is the safest way to lower it? I have been adding about a half teaspoon of Kent Marine's superbuffer-dKH to my 1 gal auto-topoff container. I added this only recently, a few days after my YWG began to have the problem. Do you think the buffer is causing the topoff pH to be too high? My RO water for topoff tests at 6.0. TIA.

bertoni
06/25/2004, 08:39 PM
The value for your alkalinity would be useful to know at this point.

Personally, I'd discontinue the buffer and do some water changes, or perhaps even dose a bit of vinegar, if I was sure about the pH. The vinegar is more risky...

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/25/2004, 09:24 PM
I agree. Stop the buffer and measure the alkalinity (and calcium). The RO water does not need to be brought up to tank pH, and in fact, doing so can cause problems (such as excessive alkalinity).

Then we can figure out how to best solve the pH problem.

For an emergency correction, a little soda water or vinegar is a good way, but you'll need to accurately measure pH to use either of those.

This article may help:

Solutions to pH Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/chem.htm

What is a YWG? :D

bertoni
06/25/2004, 09:57 PM
I'm guess Yellow Watchman Goby, perhaps because I have a pair I like a lot. :)

impur
06/28/2004, 03:46 PM
Yes, YWG = Yellow watchman goby

My alk tests at 12 dKH and calcium is 410 ppm. I have discontinued the kent buffer. Nothing seems to be adversely affected by the relatively high pH. In fact it seems to be coming down now, tested last night at 8.5. Thanks for the replies, i think i'll wait it out and see what comes of it. If it changes drastically, i will have to take some measures to try and correct it. But for now i'll let it play out.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/28/2004, 09:22 PM
OK, good luck!