PDA

View Full Version : Meltdown - PLEASE HELP!!!!!

jms
06/25/2004, 12:20 AM
Close to giving this up. Came home from the office to find the tank cloudy, fish comatose and sps corals rtning. In sump carbon bag had sucked up against the bulkheads and wasn't letting a lot of water through causing the level in the sump to rise and the skimmer to overflow (prob a lot of noxious stuff as I hadn't cleaned it in a while).

Checked all params, Nitrate low, ammonia/phosphate on an old test kit looked nonexistent, alk at 4, salinity normal at 1.024. PH was off a bit down from 8.25 to 7.95.

Did a 60 gallon water change for last last 5 hours and are keeping my fingers crossed.

Already lost one of my 2 cleaner shrimp and my mystery wrasse. Remaining fish look ok but can't locate my juvi tusk. Only other material fact is that 2 of my cukes blew out and I removed the remains from the tank, can't find the other 2 or 3. Snails seem to be doing ok.

Tank still cloudy. ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated. Losses are already over $1000 and I'd like to control whatever remaining damage I can at this point. PLEASE HELP. Planning on doing additional water changes tomrrow.

jms
06/25/2004, 12:36 AM
Only other datapoint is that a regal angel (3in) I added about a onth ago disappeared about 3 days ago. ONly additived have been cyclopeeze and dts.

Polojoe12
06/25/2004, 01:22 AM
Wow, sorry i dont have any help for you but i can only imagine your pain. hopy your tank comes back 1000% better.

Frick-n-Frags
06/25/2004, 04:53 AM
I think you are doing it: water changes
maybe don't feed anything for a week while everything settles down again.
good luck.

teamcamelot
06/25/2004, 05:02 AM
We hope you the best. It gets frustrating sometimes. It sounds like you are doing what you can, water changes. Did you do the 60 gal all at once?

clwnphish
06/25/2004, 07:38 AM
When in doubt run a polyfilter, they can work miracles. Also try Purigen.

Clwn

jms
06/28/2004, 10:17 PM
update: lost royal gramma and mystery wrasse (on top of the regal) and 80% of sps bleached/rtned. Most lps/polyps/mushrooms made it as well as the rest of the fish. Found a cuke sucked up against one of my streams. Still trying to decipher it all the strange thing is that although the ph was low, all other params were ok. Did 120 gallons of water change and the water has cleared up. Star polyps and pipe organ still haven't opened and I'm hoping that the rest of the partially rtned corals down't get worse. Questions whether this is just a confluence of bad events, the cukes dieing or the lack of circ even the the streams were still moving at full blast. Any ideas are very much appreciated. This is my second blowout (first due to precip calc) and I'm not sure I can take a third one.