PDA

View Full Version : Adding Calcium Chloride

lbbudle
06/24/2004, 11:54 AM
I managed to get my aquarium out of balance by adding too much buffer so now I have 200 ppm of calcium and a alkalinity reading of 5. I have been using calamax in addition to adding calcium chloride (about a teaspoon and a half per day) to a 75 gal tank with sump. I done this for the last four days. So far I haven't seen any movement in either of the two readings. Is the dosage amount correct or should I be at a higher level or is it just going to take an awfully long time? Thanks
:rolleyes:

Froggy
06/24/2004, 12:37 PM
I recently asked the same type of question to Randy. You will need to add a lot more of the calcium chloride to make a dent. Randy gave me a great link that helps with figuring out how much of a product to use and what its effect will be.

http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

I had a reading of 300 ppm calcium on my 75 and it took 15 tsp of Kents turbo calcium ( calcium chloride ) to raise my calcium to 390 ppm.

beaslbob
06/24/2004, 12:57 PM
I have a diy filter box that is the input to my sump/refug. With strong waterflow throught it.

my calcium went from 250-300PPM to 400ppm over a three week period and has remained there for three months. All I did was switch to crushed oyster shells as the filter media.

jfinch
06/24/2004, 02:09 PM
I've never heard of calamax. What is that?

lbbudle
06/24/2004, 02:27 PM
Calamax is just another two part supplement of Ca and alk. It's made by WM and it just another competitor of ESV's Bi-onic. Good stuff if you don't add anything else like I did.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/24/2004, 03:13 PM
lbbudle:

You'll need a lot more than the recommended dose to raise calcium that much. The calculator above sill show you how much.

Bob:

I don't know what happened in your case, but oyster shell wouldn't normally be able to raise calcium levels like that, unless the pH or alkalinity were very low.