PDA

View Full Version : Hair algae and Lawn Mower Blenny

Neowind
06/24/2004, 10:54 AM
Ok I am almost ready to give up on the reef scene because of hair algae. I am at my very last string. My LFS got a LMB in today and I was thinking about buying it. Do these things eat any soft corals or lPS? I heard they eat SPS and clam mantles. How aggressive are they? Do you think it will touch the Hair Algae?

I have posted this question in the fish forum also so I can get a variety of experiences.

luger
06/24/2004, 11:35 AM
They are hit or miss with hair algea.If it is to long they will not touch it.As for corals i have never seen any of mine touch the corals unless they were trying to clean it.
As for severe hair algea you can go to blowfish aquatics on line and purchase the large sea hare.They will attack the hair algea untill it is gone in a short amount of time (DAYS).Just be warned their life span is not that long,but will wipe out your algea.
Also it will come back unless you find the root of your problem.

gflat65
06/24/2004, 12:37 PM
I have used lawn mowers for years and have had only a few issues. Mine has nipped at some of my sps ON OCCASION, but rarely. I didn't suspect him until I actually saw it. My clown is much worse. I agree with the statement on long hair algae. If you can remove the longer stuff, they will usually handle the rest for you. I have had a couple (three) of different lawnmowers over the years and only one seemed strictly vegetarian. It ate only algae (and it loved the really long algae that polluted my tank for the first year or so-cleared (actually redistributed the algae more than anything) all rocks and glass of the 3"+ hair in a matter of two weeks). The other two have been omnivores, but still liked algae in smaller forms. They have some of the best personality of any of the fish I have owned. I think it would be an investment you'd enjoy, but that's just me. The only fish I have ever had one be aggresive towards was my first mandarin, and that was subdued harassment (he like to sit on the mandarin as the mandarin swam by).

There are other options out there, as well. Finding the primary cause of the algae is important to ending it. Are phosphates low, etc? Some believe that heat can be a contributor in algae problems. With increasing temps, that could be making it worse. Just a couple of ideas.

EvilMel
06/24/2004, 03:18 PM
This is only my opinion BUT...

You need to look more to getting rid of the underlying factor that is causing your hair algae rather than something to try to get rid of it. Try testing your alkalinity. When my alk was high the hair algae had a harder time growing. If I were you I would rip out as much as possible then jack up my alkalinity and water cahnge like crazy. Sometimes I noticed after water changing I needed to re-add my alkalinity supplements, so keep checking that while you water change.

JMO

Neowind
06/24/2004, 03:43 PM
My alk is currently at 9 what level do you recommend? I am not sure what is to high. I actually bought some baking soda to bring my Alk up but not sure how much to raise it.

noles315
06/24/2004, 03:53 PM
I had the same problem till recently. I bought a lmb and it didn't touch it. I added a skimmer to my refugium. I increased the alkalinity and decreased the feedings. Over a 3-4 week period it all disappeared.

I also wanted to give up due to how frustrating it is. Hang in there and try some of the things above, it will work.

EvilMel
06/24/2004, 08:03 PM
That's too low in my opinion. I like to keep mine above 4 meq/L, which is 11.2 dKH. Mine might be on the high end, but my corals really like it and they are growing alot. Also, like noles said: if you are feeding alot, I would cut way down.

fishdoc11
06/24/2004, 08:14 PM
If you take your alk up above 10-11 be carefull. There are many people that have had problems with sps RTNing. FWIW natural seawater has an alkalinity of ~ 8dKH. Also according to Sprung the "magic #" for helping reduce algae is just above 8 dKH. I know several people that have lawnmower blennies and swear by their algae eating prowess(and personality). Have you hooked that skimmer back up yet?
Chris

Neowind
06/25/2004, 09:26 AM
Good news guys I fit both my skimmer and my filter on my tank last night so they are both running now. I think this will make a huge difference.