PDA

View Full Version : Acceptible TDS... Do I need RO?

SHOmuchFUN
06/24/2004, 10:24 AM
I just moved into my new apartment...
I had a friend use a TDS meter to check my tapwater and it's at ~100.

I'm pretty sure my water from my previous house may have actually been even HIGHER and my water quality was very nice. I had some diatoms and had to use the magna-float on the glass, but no hair, valonia (maybe just a little), razor, etc. algea.

Would it be -OKAY- to run tapwater? I know the consensus is to always run RO, but I have a gonioporra, I plan on getting an anemone, etc. which are typically high nutrient corals anyway. Plus, I'm living in an apartment and don't really want to have to deal with an RO unit, but I suppose if it's the only option, it'll be something I have to do.

MDboyz
06/24/2004, 10:42 AM
Yes you do need the RO/DI water.
I'm not trying to judge or anything. However, many people including myselft tried to save money on the RO/DI water. Down the road, when the tank started to have hair algae or others. We would spend money on clean up crews. In the end, we spent more money than just buying a RO/DI system in the first place.

thedogofwar
06/24/2004, 10:58 AM
I'd do it for the various metals alone.

dcoufal
06/24/2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by SHOmuchFUN
I had a friend use a TDS meter to check my tapwater and it's at ~100.

TDS Results on my water:
Tap - last test was 247
RO - 5 to 7
RO/DI - 0 to 1 (depends on container holding the water)

So.... your ~100 is about 100 times the TDS of RO/DI....

SHOmuchFUN
06/24/2004, 12:33 PM
I'm winning an RO/DI on E-bay as we speak...

I'm already convinced. Thanks
:thumbsup:

LX302
06/24/2004, 01:39 PM
RO all the way. Think of all the other contaminants.
My tap is 29ppm, and I run a DI filter and get 0-1ppm.
Phosphates are high in my area.

SHOmuchFUN
06/24/2004, 01:59 PM
I won this unit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4308326064

What do you all think?

SHOmuchFUN
06/24/2004, 02:01 PM
Oh, I also bought the hose adapter... I believe my washing machine just uses a hose fitting, so I think I can couple the washing machine and this unit down in the basement, and run the water lines up across the floorboards and near the tank where I'll have a rubbermaid with a float valve.

manderx
06/24/2004, 02:16 PM
100 tds doesn't mean anything. what matters is what those solids are. for example, they could be calcium and you would have wonderful tapwater as is, or they could be copper or phosphates.

RO/DI just takes the uncertainity out of it.

dcoufal
06/24/2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by manderx
100 tds doesn't mean anything. what matters is what those solids are. for example, they could be calcium and you would have wonderful tapwater as is, or they could be copper or phosphates.

RO/DI just takes the uncertainity out of it.

Not to mention that the "solids" can change on an hourly/daily/weekly basis.... One day your Ca might be great, the next week the phosphates are off the chart!

It's not worth trying to guess.... get the RO/DI filter. Think of the money you'll save not buying bottled water to drink!

Dwain

SHOmuchFUN
06/25/2004, 02:14 PM
Think that unit will be a good one?

HoopsGuru
06/25/2004, 02:32 PM
SHOmuchFUN--I bought a very similar unit from FilterDirect and am very pleased. I just used the needle valve and put it under the sink in less than 20 minutes was done with everything (has a 4g tank too)....and I am not a DIY'er. I think you will be pleased with the performance.