PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Epicaridean isopods

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
06/23/2004, 08:28 PM
I was at the LFS today and they got a shipment of peppermint shrimp in. I noticed almost half of them had 1 Epicaridean isopod on it. I did not buy any, because I knew, as well as the manager knew they were parasites, however, neither of us knew if the parasite could spread to other shrimp or if it actually kills the shrimp or just lives on it. If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it.

Amanda

TippyToeX
06/24/2004, 12:54 AM
Amanda- From this article Pills, Parasites, and Predators; Isopods in the Reef Aquarium (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.htm) I read the below (pictures of them as well)

The rather odd epicaridean isopods are rarely, but regularly, reported from aquaria. "Epi" means "on" and "carid" means shrimp, so these animals are aptly named, as they are isopods most frequently seen as parasites on shrimp. The males are very small, look like normal isopods, and are almost never seen. The parasitic females may be quite large, and look like large lumps or tumors found on the side of a shrimp. The female lives fastened onto her host's gills or upper leg segments and sucks the host's blood. It lives under the carapace, which becomes deformed over the parasite. The parasite is generally not recognizable as an isopod, but rather looks like a large white lump on the side of a shrimp.

Epicarids appear to be rather well-adapted parasites, and do not seem to harm their host much, in spite of their rather ghastly appearance. They may be found occasionally on the sides of all of the various shrimp imported for the hobby. They appear to be most frequently seen in peppermint shrimp, Lysmata wurdemanni.

Was this store actually selling the shrimp with the isopods on them?

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
06/24/2004, 05:40 AM
No, they had just got them in and realized something was wrong, but wasn't sure exactly what. So, they were contacting the vender to tell them about the shrimp. I don't know what they are going to do with the shrimp, but they are not for sale as of yesterday.

From the information listed above, it seems that although the parasite looks horrible, it does not seem to harm their host much. My question is, if you buy a shrimp with one one it, can it infect other shrimp in your tank? I didn't buy any of these shrimp, but I'd like to learn more. Now that I have becomce addicted to this hobby, it seems I have to know everything or it drives me nuts!

Thanks Aim!

MalHavoc
06/24/2004, 07:26 AM
I'd be willing to wager that if the host died, the parasite would probably find a way to infect some other shrimp in the tank. Just seems reasonable.

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
06/24/2004, 08:17 AM
I agree, my concern is, will the parasite just stay on it's host, or will it release to lay eggs. Can it carry fertilized eggs from a previous encounter with a male, or must a male isopod be present to fertilze eggs? Could a male already be attched to a shrimp that has a female on it. Aren't the males Much much smaller than females.
If a shrimp is bought from a batch of shrimp where some are infected, what are the chances a parasite is most likely attachted to a shrimp that shows no signs of it?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just one of those people who has to know everything and I'd also like to help out the people at the LFS with info, so they can teach all their employees about different parasites.

TippyToeX
06/24/2004, 12:39 PM
I have no idea if they are very fertile and keep breeding, and infect the others that show no sign of these isopods. I would think that the shrimp that do not look like they are infected, might have smaller juveniles attached.

The man who would know the answers to your questions would be Dr. Ron (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40). You might want to make a post in his forum. :) I would like to hear his input.

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
06/24/2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks Aim, I went to his site, but he's out of town until Sat. I'll try then and let you know! Take care!

Amanda