PDA

View Full Version : Question on Demineralized Water for the Guru

jgravelin01
06/23/2004, 03:09 PM
At the facility I work in, I have access to a practically unlimited supply of demineralized water. My main question is, would this be just as good as the RO/DI water for tank make-up?
I'll give a quick rundown of the system. We receive either non-contact cooling water from a chemical processing plant or city water as a supply for the system. The water is then passed through a mixed-media (Sand and Gravel) filter to remove suspended solids and reduce turbidity (<1). From here it is stored in a holding tank. The water is then pumped through a set of carbon filters to reduce chlorine to usually around .02ppm. This is followed by a Strong Acid Cation Vessel and a Strong Base Anion then through a Mixed Bed. The water water quality produced is the following: conductivity - .055-.065 umohs, pH 5.5-7, and we monitor silica (usually around .002 ug/l) to determine when the train is exhausted.
I was thinking about collecting some water from the drains from one of the conductivity meters, which would drain into the plant sump anyway. I could always get it from a supply valve, but I figured we are going to lose this water anyway so I would get that.
How does all this sound? By the way, this water is used as boiler make-up feedwater. I wanted to ask here before I added any and kill everything in the tank. If it sounds ok, I'll start adding a little as tank make-up at first, and if all is ok, use it for partial water changes.

Thanks for your help.

Boomer
06/23/2004, 04:23 PM
I dont see any problem with it at all. That water is +15 - +18 megohms. Ultra Pure water is around 18 mega Ohms That is lower than some conductivity meters, so the water is quite pure. That is on the order of .1 ppm TDS. It is better than many RO/DI units used in this hobby. As far as the pH goes of 5.5-7, that is probalby not real, as there is nothing in the water to measure the pH with, so it is more like a false reading. You also have the same pH issue with may RO/DI units. So don't worry about the pH

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/23/2004, 09:28 PM
Here's my short answer: I'd use it. :)

Habib
06/24/2004, 02:10 AM
jgravelin01:

[welcome]

jgravelin01
06/24/2004, 02:16 AM
Thanks, I'll Give it a try.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/24/2004, 03:11 PM