PDA

View Full Version : how do I make a fuge?

JumboShrimp
06/23/2004, 02:18 PM
I have recently been fuges, but Im not sure how to make one, can somone help?

der_wille_zur_macht
06/23/2004, 02:26 PM
Keeping it simple, I see three main paths you can take:

1) In Tank - simplest method. Section off part of your tank to act as refuge for the life you want to protect (pods or plants.) A stack of live rock rubble makes a good pod breeting ground, or you could section off part of the tank with fine plastic eggcrate or acrylic with holes drilled in it.

2) In Sump - second simplest. Section off part of your sump with less flow than the rest. Provide lights and viola, instant refugium.

3) Standalone Refugium - A completely seperate conainer. IMHO, this is the best - especially if you can elevate it above your main tank, so that the water drains from it back to the main tank via gravity and doesn't have to go through a pump to get there. Pump the water from your sump or main tank up to the fuge and use an overflow or bulkhead to drain it back.

I'm sure lots of people on here can provide more detailed procedures but first you need to decide which type you want. (Or which type will be easiest to fit into your existing setup.)

GoTRiCe19
06/23/2004, 02:29 PM
Check this out.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

twLoaf
06/23/2004, 02:35 PM
One relatively simple way is to get an old tank (10, 20, 30 gallons) and buy some acrylic and silicon it in place to divide the tank into several sections. Use one of them as a fuge. Be sure to leave room in the setup so that if the pump stops for any reason, water can leak down into the fuge/sump and not cause it to overflow.

I recently did just this project (finished Monday). Figure about 20-25 bucks for the acrylic and silicon + the cost of a tank, unless you happen to have one laying around.

On the acrylic:
1) Check your yellow pages under "Plastics" and find a company that sells scraps...call around. It will be alot cheaper than Home Depot, and the company will probably cut it for you very cheaply.
2) Get at least 1/4"-3/8", especially if you plan on having different water levels- the pressure difference will cause thinner plastic to bend and may tear it away from the silicon. (I learned this one the hard way...)
3) Consider a "bubble trap"...see www.melevsreef.com for excellent explanations/pictures etc.

Good luck.