PDA

View Full Version : painted Angler with one cloudy eye

ezhoops
06/22/2004, 04:13 PM
I've had my painted Angler or Frogfish for 1 week now and its been doing great, I've attempted feeding it frozen but hasn't made the switch yet. Anyhow, I noticed today that he has one cloudy eye. I can't really tell, but it looks as if there is some type of film over his eye. The other eye looks clear and healthy. any ideas what it could be? What could I do for preventive measures, treat it, etc?
please help
The major issue is that I'm leaving for vacation tonight and will be gone for 5 days, I fear I will return to a dead frogfish.

SAT
06/23/2004, 12:34 PM
Um, yes it's tough dealing with any problem when you're not there.

Does the "film" seem bumpy or missing in spots? Some "flukes" (Monogeneans, a type of flatworm) are transparent so they're hard to see against the skin. Try looking at different angles to the light. If that's the problem, a freshwater or formalin dip will probably knock them off. See: http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/treatments.html

If it's a simple film, it's probably bacterial, probably the result of some trauma. The fish may recover on its own or may require treatment. In the latter case you want to try antibiotics in a treatment tank. Good choices include saltwater maracyn-two and nitrofurazone (Furacyn).

ezhoops
06/27/2004, 11:25 PM
should I worry about the frogfishes skin.