PDA

View Full Version : chemistry ? to promote healthy corraline algea growth

roricaja
06/22/2004, 11:48 AM
I am new to the part of the hobby in a sense that this is the first time i have things in my tank other that fish that need caring for. I was hoping someone could give me a basic list of additives needed to promote good corraline algea growth, deter hair algea growth and suppliment my LTA to the best of my ability. No other corals, etc. live in the tank until i am better educated.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/22/2004, 11:58 AM
This article should help with the general parameters, which apply to coralline about the same as they apply to corals:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters (a summary general article)
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

roricaja
06/22/2004, 08:58 PM
Thank you for your quick rssponse. I read your article and it cleared up alot of basic questions. From what i understand,Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium are the three most importatnt. You suggest limewater (kalkwasser), calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactors, and the two-part additive systems. Note that I have no corals as of yet, until tax return time, just alot of live rock that i want to keep the coralline algea growing on.
(1) Does this mean I have to go buy a calcium reactor at this point to accomplish this? My tank is still in its infancy because I am starving Cirolanid Isopods for the next six months.

(2) How do you dose Magnesium?

(3) Will the calcium, along with some kind of Phosphate removal media take care of my red hair algea?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/22/2004, 09:16 PM
Without many corals and a limited budget, perhaps the DIY limewater dripper is the way to go:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.htm

I wouldn't dose magnesium unless you tested and found it low. Testing for magnesium levels is a low priority unless you have difficulty maintaining appropriate calcium and alkalinity levels despite adequate additions.

The calcium won't impact the algae. That is usually related to elevate nutrients, such as phosphate, nitrate, and organics.

roricaja
06/22/2004, 09:17 PM
Another thing Randy is that I do not get much evaporation at all due to the fact i have an all glass top on my tank and am only running two Actinic Blue and two Daylight lanps over my tank, not a PC or MH. Am I starving my tank of CO2

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/22/2004, 09:20 PM
Starving it of CO2? The pH would be high if you were. What is the pH and alkalinity?

roricaja
06/22/2004, 09:37 PM
My ph is 8.2. I do not have a test for Calcium, Alkalinity, etc.. Thanks I am just trying to stop my rampant red hair algae growth. You agree then that at this point cal and alk are needed for me to maintain coralline?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/23/2004, 05:02 AM
Oh yes, calcium and alkalinity are definitiely very important.