PDA

View Full Version : FO 55 gal stock list

teh creator
06/21/2004, 11:14 PM
So after some research and debate with myself, i've come up with a list for my fish only setup in my 55 gal tank...

(1) Threadfin Butterfly (Chaetodon auriga)
(1) Antenneta Lionfish
(1) Snowflake eel

I'm aware that the threadfin can reach 9 inches, what i'm looking for is more will they all get along? and how hard will it be to feed them? i read the butterfly will not compete for food, and lion's can be finicky eaters...

also any other suggestions/comments are welcome

Thanks in advance

slylie
06/21/2004, 11:17 PM
have you allready purchased the 55g?

i ask because im not a big fan of its dimentions, if you havent got the tank allready, concider a 65g... :)

teh creator
06/22/2004, 10:39 AM
the tank and the butterfly have both been purchased already...i bought the tank, stand, and some misc accessories used for $65. If i was buying it all brand new i definately would have looked at a slightly bigger tank, but a college budget doesn't allow for that many luxuries ;)

Mad Scientist
06/22/2004, 01:30 PM
Add slow and you should be OK - I hope you have lots of LR and high quality (maintained by a quality skimmer) for that buterfly.

If you do it right, I think this combo would make for a very cool tank. None of those fish will bother each other.

teh creator
06/22/2004, 08:31 PM
exactly how vital is a "quality skimmer" to that setup? and can you reccomend a brand/model, or tell me what to look for?

Thanks

slylie
06/22/2004, 09:31 PM
The euroreef series are excellent.

teh creator
06/22/2004, 10:18 PM
excellent eh? the one for 75 gallons on marinedepot.com is $228...it better wash my car for that price :rollface:

Mad Scientist
06/22/2004, 10:57 PM
At the very least you should get a CPR bak-pak, they run about $100 online.

This is a tough hobby to try to save pennies. Most of the time you get what you pay for. When I got started I bought alot of junk and really didn't have much fun with the hobby - when I bought a big skimmer it was great, they make a huge difference. Running this set-up without a 1/2 decent skimmer is huge mistake, IMO and will end of getting you in the end.

If you are really looking to save some $, there's always FW.

slylie
06/22/2004, 11:28 PM
dont let that discourage you... with enough research, planning, and time you can find this hobby to be a bit cheaper, as long as you are willing to plan ahead and wait aroud for the deals.

:)

quarryshark
06/23/2004, 12:17 AM
I agree, don't skimp on a skimmer. Especially on a large bioload and the Lion will bw a messy eater.

teh creator
06/23/2004, 12:34 AM
At the very least you should get a CPR bak-pak, they run about $100 online

awesome, that it MUCH more reasonable...if i still have to put in some extra time cleaning and such that's fine, i enjoy playing with the fishies...

If you are really looking to save some $, there's always FW.

i have a 29 gallon FW community tank...they're quite entertaining, but not nearly as pretty or challenging as SW

i do greatly appreciate your advice though, and i understand you get what you pay for...i'm just looking to manage this on a budget, and would prefer a good skimmer for $100 to an awesome skimmer for $300...

i always liked doing things the hard way :)

slylie:

thanks...i've been doing just that thus far...i probably jumped the gun buying the fish, but i had been researching, and waiting, buying at the right time (my 55gal used AGA tank and stand, along with some FW extras, were had for $65...i borrowed some beautiful white sand from a wildlife preserve near my beachouse...used the petsmart trick...etc), yadda yadda, with nothing to show for it, and the fish was just my reward...

if i have to keep him solo for awhile while i save for a skimmer that's fine...

he's still not eating yet (2 days), though he swims around looking very healthy, but i'm gonna swing by the LFS tomorow and pick up some kinda tasty food to try and entice him

Mad Scientist
06/23/2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by teh creator
[

he's still not eating yet (2 days), though he swims around looking very healthy, but i'm gonna swing by the LFS tomorow and pick up some kinda tasty food to try and entice him

Try some mysis and some enriched LBB. Butterflies aren't easy. Good lcuk

scaz
06/23/2004, 02:57 PM
how ironic.... I'm a college student too who had a 55 g tank given to me. i have found out that the aquaC remora Pro hang-on skimmer is a good way to go with out a slump. http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_aquac_remora.asp?CartId=
I'm planning on buying it when i finally get enough money, this will take monthes to save up, even over the summer. I like to get the best for what ever it is that i'm doing, and this seems to be the best answer for a 55 gallon tank, although is it expensive

ronrona
06/23/2004, 07:36 PM
Nice job looking for the "used" items. Quite often you can find things locally, other hobbiests don't need anymore. Plus all TRUE marine/reef people are GREAT & respect the hobby.

I am going to get jumped on for saying this, IMO, a skimmer is not necessary. Especially in a fo tank (w/ no lr you said), you can drop the salinity to 1.19 or so. Just watch all of your parameters, do not over feed, frequent water changes, don't overstock, etc...
I have worked my way up to a 160 fowlr (had a 55,120 also), and it's been up for 3 years. No skimmer, no dsb, no problems. Only 120 lbs lr and a wet dry. I have a submersable pump in my sump pushing 265 gph thru a UV. My buddy (he used to own a lfs back east) has a 550 show tank w/ 8 HUGE specimens. Angels, butterflys, trigger, etc... He has 3 closed loops pushing thru 3 uv's. A skimmer will definatley help, but not needed.

I would recommend a quarentine tank to use for the new fish. Try to find a local marine / reef club. I share a 30 gal Q tank & makeshift stand w/ 2 other people. Our tanks are established, so it's not used much.

GOOD LUCK!!

teh creator
06/24/2004, 01:01 PM
scaz:

congrats on the tank, what a deal! and thanks for your advice on the skimmer...if i do end up getting one, i'll look into that brand...

best of luck with your tank...at my apartment we have a community 29 fresh, and two 55 salt's that we're setting up right now (one reef, one FO)...personally i stare at our tanks for hours :) they're very relaxing

ronrona:

I appreciate your honesty greatly...I think i'm going to give the skimmer-less setup a try for awhile...I watch the tank's parameters very closely daily anyways, and at the first sign that it's not working, i'll run out and pick up a skimmer...one question though:

why drop the salinity? my hydrometer reads specific gravity at 1.024 at the moment...what will a lower salinity give me?

no_nutin
06/24/2004, 08:20 PM
if you do not have a sump I would go with a cpr double back pack 120 not a single rated for 60 gallon it will not keep up with a big fish load

ronrona
06/24/2004, 08:54 PM
From what I have read, a lower salinity decreases dramatically several common marine fish disease. This is the premise of hyposalinity (see disease treatment forum). However LR & invertabrates need sg of 1.22-1.25 or so to survive. So basically no snails, crabs, stars, etc... A friend of mine does service / maintenance work on aquariums in restaurants, office buildings, etc... I'm talking 800 gal to 1800 gal w/ very large & very expensive fish. For ease of maintenance those tanks are fish only and have show coral pieces. He keeps the salinity at 1.18. Never any problems (& no skimmers).
I don't want to discourage you from getting a skimmer. It will help. From what I understand they are very helpful w/ reef tanks.
Maybe you can pick one up used & experiment with it before you go reef!
My old roomate is selling a couple of used skimmers on ebay soon.
pm me & I'll send you his email.
Good Luck!!