PDA

View Full Version : pH and Ca problem

NewSchool04
06/21/2004, 10:44 PM
I'm having a hard time raising my Ca and pH. I have been using the recommended amount of C-Balance, just the A part for over a week, and it doesn't seem to budge the Ca over 250. My pH is also low, tonight I got a reading of 7.5 on one test and 7.8 on another. How can I raise my Ca and pH without screwing up other things. Here are my levels from an hour ago.

NO2 0ppm
NO3 0ppm
KH 9.6
Alkalinity 3.43
PO4 0ppm
pH 7.5 - 7.8?

I have Seachem Marine Buffer that states that it will raise pH to 8.3 but I'm wary of using it and I have kalkwasser mix but no way to drip it in the tank. I saw your article on building a cheap doser but before I do that I'd like to know what you think I should do first.

JoeMack
06/21/2004, 11:37 PM
Have you added any stronium to your tank?

NewSchool04
06/21/2004, 11:43 PM
no i haven't

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/22/2004, 07:03 AM
You can't raise the calcium that much with any balanced additive system (like C-balance) as the alkalinity will get (or try to get) too high. You need to use just the calcium part of it, or just calcium chloride.

Note: it will take a huge amount to raise calcium that much.

This calculator will help show you how much (assume C-balance is roughly similar to B-ionic for the calculator):

Reef Chemicals Calculator
http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

Also, this article guides you through the process:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

NewSchool04
06/22/2004, 11:23 AM
what about raising my pH? Do you recommend using buffers and would the low pH have anything to do w/ low calcium?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/22/2004, 11:30 AM
Nope. Low pH does not cause low calcium, nor the other way around.

Once you have the calcium up to normal, then I'd look to use a high pH balanced additive to keep up pH and alkalinity. One of the two part additives, or limewater (kalkwasser) would fit the need.

Make sure that the pH really is low, and not just a measurement error. Mayb eget it tested at the LFS.

Also, more aeration, possibly with fresh (outside) air may help, as low pH at normal alkalinity usually implies excess CO2 in the water.

This article should help with pH:

Solutions to pH Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/chem.htm

NewSchool04
06/22/2004, 01:18 PM
Do you recommend then using a two part additive to raise Ca first then kalkwasser to maintain the Ca and help raise the pH? I used the Ca calculator and unless I'm doing something wrong, looks like I'm gonna have to add a hellova lot of additive to get up to 430 Ca. Do you recommend another way to increase Ca from 250 - 430? The tank is 75 gallons w/ 30 gallon sump.
Thanks for the help Randy!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/22/2004, 05:30 PM
Yes, it will take a ton of any additive to raise calcium that much. I'd personally use calcium chloride as it is cheaper, but you can use just the calcium part of the C-balance. Don't add an equal amount of the alkalinity part.

Once it is up, the C-balance is a fine choice going forward, as is the limewater.

NewSchool04
06/22/2004, 10:14 PM
i've looked at every sponser listed and no one sells calcium chloride. where can I purchase this. Is it listed under a different name?

Sean C
06/23/2004, 02:10 AM
Kent sells Turbo Calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/23/2004, 05:04 AM
Yes, various manufacturers sell it under different names. Warner, ESV, and Kent all sell it. You can also sometimes get Dowflake from Home Depot, although usually in the winter.