PDA

View Full Version : Quick Brain Question....

SaltyKitty
06/21/2004, 12:48 PM
I've had my eye on a yellow open brain at my LFS for awhile, and I wanted to make sure my lighting would be good for it. I have the 96 watt Coralife 50/50 on a 16 gallon- is that enough light to put the brain at the bottom of the tank in the sand??

SaltyKitty
06/21/2004, 01:52 PM
Edit- Did some more searching about the brain and it seems open brains dont normaly come in yellow- does this mean it's bleached?

MiddletonMark
06/21/2004, 01:57 PM
Probably. Describe the yellow ...are we talking maize-yellow ... or faint yellowish green sorta luminescent [assuming second].

How long have they had the brain? What lights is it under?

Is there any skeleton showing? Showing through the flesh [can you see the ridges?]
Does it appear to inflate/deflate normally?

SaltyKitty
06/21/2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks Mark :) To answer your questions:
1) It's a very light luminescent yellow with cream and darker yellow stripes.

2) They have had it for about two months under MH near the top of the tank perched on a rock.

3) No skelton showing, it always looks the same when I go in there- It's always been inflated when I have seen it.

MiddletonMark
06/21/2004, 03:50 PM
Well, bleached [if on the rocks, under MH's] is unlikely ... almost would wonder if it's getting too much light.

Hopefully someone else will chime in. I'm pretty iffy on it ... the 2 months is good, then again if it is discolored ... not good.

But back to the top this goes :)

masterswimmer
06/21/2004, 03:56 PM
Ask the LFS if you can take a pic and then post it here. Would help you more that way. He shouldn't mind.

SaltyKitty
06/21/2004, 04:07 PM
Good idea- I'll try to get there and get a pic tonight or tommorrow

markzfishn1
06/21/2004, 05:11 PM
Just looked it up in Aquarium corals. Open brain corals ( if it's actually a Trachyphyllia) are "reportedly found in deeper water and under shaded overhangs." So it's probably getting too much light at the lfs.

MiddletonMark
06/21/2004, 05:26 PM
Oh yeah, on my sandbed mine was discoloring and shrinking once I put a good reflector on my MH [only 175w!]. Had to be moved to the PC-lit tank, where it's much happier.

But ... a mistreated coral in a store tank is not good to `save' IMO. If they harm it in their care, let them learn the hard lesson. They sell it ... they stock another and do the same thing. IMO, don't buy it if it's really hurting.

Then again, it might not be. Call me Mr. Wishy Washy :)

SaltyKitty
06/21/2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks everyone.....I think I'll just get the plate that I KNOW is healthy instead of chancing it.

MiddletonMark
06/21/2004, 06:38 PM
Well, either way, you gotta take a picture of what you get :)

masterswimmer
06/22/2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Strawberry
Thanks everyone.....I think I'll just get the plate that I KNOW is healthy instead of chancing it.

I've got a beautiful fungia repanda. Look into them too.

Russ