PDA

View Full Version : accidental,complete water change

mickey57
06/20/2004, 06:02 PM
...........Randy,
......................I just gave all my sps,lps and and lets just say the whole damn tank a freshwater bath.I disconnected the auto top off while I was refilling the storage tank.I forgot about I was topping the sump off and didn't notice it until I walked over to the tank.I can't remember how long I had the valve open to the sump.I checked real quick with the refracto and damn,1.016.Shut the valve off and scooped about quart of salt and dumped in the sump.Over the last 2 and a half hours I have nudged it back up to 1.023,going to let it ride there a little while before I put it back to 1.026.Every thing went to sheding and closed up before I was able to get a handle on it.Carpets soaked.GEE WIZZ what do you think is going to happen to all the corals,with a shock like that?I did all I could think of at the time?
................Mickey

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/20/2004, 06:21 PM
what do you think is going to happen to all the corals

I'm not sure. The drop and also the sudden rise were very stressful. In the future, a more gentle rise would be desirable (of couse, I'm sure you hope to not ever need to know that).

I wouldn't change salinity again for at least a couple of days.

Since some things may die, watch for ammonia and use an ammonia treatment if you see substantial amounts.

Also use carbon and skimming to reduce the organic loads.

mickey57
06/20/2004, 06:28 PM
....Thanks Randy,
.........I would have done it different if I had really thought about it.I have to 45gals on each side of the 72.Just lost my head with the wife sitting in the next room and She is wondering about a stain around a 72gal in the living room(freshwater) then me dumping Lord knows how much water on the carpet back here.It's been a bad weekwnd for me to top off sumps.
.....Mickey

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/21/2004, 05:48 AM
Yes, I understand how such things happen.

Let us know how things are going forward. :)

mickey57
06/21/2004, 04:12 PM
.........After 24 hours the prognosis is ?.Anemones',and soft corals are opening back up slowly,open brain is also opening slowly,2 sps are bleaching,carpet still damp.Wife figured out the stain by the tank in the living room,she thinks."I really don't know what happened honey,but I will get a rug doctor". She hasn't been back here yet.Believe I will have to pull up the carpet and put tile down:( What a week-end
......Mickey

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/21/2004, 06:38 PM
Well, except for the carpet and the domestic relations, things might be OK! :)

mickey57
06/21/2004, 06:53 PM
.....It might look like I am purposely doing the water on the carpet thing but..............This pic is where I am getting banned to.
.......http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/19346dead_nut_tif_email_.jpg
....:D Mickey