PDA

View Full Version : Is protein skimmer enough to remove 100% of the detergent in a tank?

Submarine_Street
06/20/2004, 01:55 PM
Hello

This morning when I woke up I realized the temperature in my tank was quite high. So I decided to cool it down by dumping the whole ice tray in my tank, but I forgot that the bottom of the ice tray has touched some liquid detergent (I fill my ice trays with RO water on top of my washing machines that has some detergent on the surface)

Do you think my protien skimmer could skim out 100% of the laundry detergent that was desolved in the water? I run a turboflotor multi. Thank you in advance.

mfinn
06/20/2004, 02:29 PM
The skimmer is not going to remove 100% of anything from a tank. You should do a water change. You didn't say how big a tank it is. If there is alot of water volume the effect wouldn't be as bad as a nano tank. Maybe run a little carbon in a filter.

Submarine_Street
06/20/2004, 02:40 PM
My tanks is 29 gallon tank, I'll get some carbon too. Thanks.

mfinn
06/20/2004, 02:50 PM
If it was antibacterial soap the carbon should remove the chemical and if it wasn't antibacterial I would think the only harm would be adding a small amount of phosphate to the water.
Water change I think would be the first action.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/20/2004, 05:15 PM
I agree that a skimmer won't remove 100%, but it should remove enough. A water change won't get that much either, since it won't remove 100% of the water and much of the detergent will be stuck to stuff. The carbon is another fine approach.

Is the skimmer foaming a lot? If not, maybe not much detergent got into the tank in the first place.

Don't panic. :)

Submarine_Street
06/20/2004, 10:40 PM
The foam rised up only a little bit. and the fishes and corals looks alright so I guess it's not too much detergent. I'll keep on using activated carbon. Thank you both of you, I feel more calm now. :)

MDboyz
06/21/2004, 12:57 AM
Next time, you can just put the ice in a bag and float it in your sump or your tank. You don't need to make ice from RO/DI water.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/21/2004, 06:58 AM
the fishes and corals looks alright

That's good to know!

Happy reefing. :)

mfinn
06/21/2004, 09:40 AM
Submarine_Street
I keep containers of different size and shapes filled with frozen water in my freezer just for the odd emergency during the summer months.

Submarine_Street
06/22/2004, 03:14 PM
The cooling methods sounds good, I'll try it out since it's getting hot these days, thanks.