PDA

View Full Version : Red Slimer Remover Disaster!! Any ideas

sjreefer
06/20/2004, 10:14 AM
I treated my tank 3 weeks ago with ultralife red slime remover and it made my skimmer go nuts. Since then i've done 4 water changes, and changed carbons twice, and i still can't even come close to turning my skimmer on! My water foams up at the slightest agitation, my tanks health is starting to decline because of this, any help would be greatly appreciated

Tremelle
06/20/2004, 10:39 AM
Also try using Poly Filter. I have used the Ultra Red Slime Remover with good success. I used carbon in a HOT Magnum filter, and Poly Filter in my overflow box to remove it from the water. My skimmer went nuts also. I closed the air valve to the almost closed position. The skimmer worked with barely any air getting into it.

saltwaterfishlover
06/20/2004, 10:47 AM
I have also had issues with foam production after doseing Red SLime remover. What I found works for me is get an air line valve and install it on the air intake of the skimmer. close it completely. turn on your skimmer. once it is running open the valve just enough to start getting some bubbles let it be and over the coarse of a day or so keep emptying the skimmer cup and slowly upping the amount of air till you are your normal settings.

I hope this works for you and helps
andy

sjreefer
06/20/2004, 11:17 AM
Thats a good idea ! I'll try to find a airvalve laying around,

What is a poly filter is it like a floss ?

saltwaterfishlover
06/20/2004, 11:42 AM
well its made of a filter floss but it is treated with chemicals that absorbe certain chemicals like copper phosphate and other nasties. "polyfilter" I think is the brand and product name...

sjreefer
06/20/2004, 12:24 PM
Oh ok, i don't think its available in my area, i may order some in if the problem persists

Rays
06/20/2004, 12:30 PM
It will eventually go away. I turn the skimmer off when I've used red slime remover, which has only been a coula times.

sjreefer
06/20/2004, 06:36 PM
Ok i tried the air valve, and it doesn't overflow the skimmer but my whole tank fills up with white bubbles, so much so that you can't see anything in the tank, i wish there was something that worked, i'm really worried about losing some corals :S

The output of the skimmer is throwing thick white foam out even with the sponge on it

Rays
06/20/2004, 06:42 PM
I never lost a fish or a coral by using Redslmrmvr and shutting down the skimmer. Almost any additive you put in the tank except for minerals is going to give you the same result.

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
06/20/2004, 07:47 PM
I left my skimmer off for a week after the treatment then did 2 20% water changes, my skimmer is working fine now and I have no cyano!!

sjreefer
06/20/2004, 08:11 PM
I'm just going to have to keep doing water changes i guess

bpatrol
06/26/2004, 11:58 AM
turn off the skimmer and remove carbon..using these 2 items you are REMOVING the red slime med.....what do you think its skimming out?..phillip

sjreefer
06/26/2004, 02:09 PM
Everything is finally getting back to normal, thank goodness!