PDA

View Full Version : How to use kalkwasser to mae Coraline???

Ocky
06/19/2004, 07:32 PM
Yesterday, i Purchased a tub of Kalkwasser to kill off some Aptasia. And it worked! So I commented to Mike at Ki's island about thsi full cannister of KW, and he suggested I use it to help make Coraline Algae. I asked how, he said..."follow the directions..." Easy enough, but I'm a bit hesitant. I know that it has the potential to really mess up my ph.
Should I just wait and let the preocess happen itself, or should i try the KW approach? If I wait it out, how long should I expect to wait? If I try the KW, can someone give me step by step instructions?Keep in mind I'm running a simple 29g FOWLR. At present all levels are "Dead on" Thanks in advance.
-Ocky

Reefmedic79
06/19/2004, 07:53 PM
You should first be testing your calcium, alk, and pH levels. By "Dead On" can you be more specific.

Using Kalkwasser (Limewater) to raise Calcium levels in our tanks is very common and really nothing to worry to much about if you follow instructions well.

You will need a doser to add water to your tank at a slow pace. You can purchase one or make one I believe you can find some designs on the DIY page or forum.
Most people mix 1-2 tbsp. per Gal. of fresh RO/DI water. Mix well and allow to settle for at least 12 hours. The "Limewater will be the clear liquid in the container, this is what will be added to the tank and put into the doser. Make sure that the settled powder isn't poured into the doser.(FYI, the settled powder can be reused in the next mix) You will want the doser to be set for about 1-2 drops/sec. into the tank. The amount of Limewater you want to dose is the amount needed to top off the tank. If you evaporate 2 gal. of water a day you will want to dose 2 gallons of Limewater. ONLY dose before you go to bed to help prevent sudden drops in pH in the tank as Limewater has a pH of around 12 (I think?)

Agu
06/19/2004, 07:58 PM
Here's an article that can help you get started dripping kalk,

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.htm

hth,

Agu