PDA

View Full Version : carbon in water

chrali
06/19/2004, 01:13 PM
Hi Dr. Ron,

Being new and stupid i went ahead and put some carbon in my sump without rinsing it first. The result is some dark water. I do not have any live rock in it yet, just salt water base rock and sand. there is even a little carbon build up on the sand. my filter and pump is running. someone told me this will clear up pretty quick and will contaminate the water but i would rather hear it from you.
Thank you for your advice!

rshimek
06/20/2004, 09:38 AM
[moved]

I don't think there is much to worry about, but I have moved this to the chemistry forum for Randy's take on the situation.

:D

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/20/2004, 10:18 AM
I agree that there's not much to worry about. Skimming will take out some of the suspended carbon. If it is really aesthetically bothersome, filtration can take some out.

But it shouldn't harm anything as long as the water does not stay dark with suspended carbon.

I had a tank problem a couple of years ago after a power failure while on vacation. To make quick progress, I dumped a bunch of carbon loose in my sump, where it sat on the sump bottom for a very long time before I eventually sucked it out. :)