PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Reactor question

Spikehs
06/19/2004, 12:19 PM
Randy,

I have done some reading and noticed that you generally don't recommend this stuff as it doesn't dissolove well it salt water, but I thought I read that you said it dissolves well in freshwater (correct me if I am wrong). If this IS the case then, would you be able to mix it in with your topoff water (much like dosing kalk?) . I don't want to use kalk because my nano has lots of evap and I am afraid of raising the PH to high. Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/19/2004, 04:01 PM
You can dissolve it in top off water, but it is far weaker than limewater because not much dissolves. What does dissolve will tend to raise pH when added to aquaria, but it is so dilute that the effect is small.

I review it in this article:

Calcium Carbonate as a Supplement (Aragamight; Liquid Reactor)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2002/chem.htm

For a high pH concern, you can use less lime, or you can use vinegar with the limewater.

Spikehs
07/09/2004, 04:40 PM
Randy,

I just hand a question (and it might be stupid) but what would happen if you used the liquid reactor in your topoff water that was then plumbed into a kalk reactor? would it explode :D ?
any chance that it would add even more calcium/alk to the top off water?

thanks again!

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/09/2004, 04:55 PM
No, it wouldn't add more. It might add less :D

The problem is that the carbonate in the dissolved Liquid Reactor will combine with the extra calcium in the limewtaer and precipitate as calcium carbonate.

Spikehs
07/09/2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
No, it wouldn't add more. It might add less :D

The problem is that the carbonate in the dissolved Liquid Reactor will combine with the extra calcium in the limewtaer and precipitate as calcium carbonate.

thanks for the fast reply... would adding turbo calcium to the top off water have the same negative effect? or might that work?

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/09/2004, 09:07 PM
Yep, a similarly bad effect. In that case, you'll precipitate calcium hydroxide (lime), and be left with more calcium and less alkalinity in the limewater.