PDA

View Full Version : Calcium/Alk issues

Froggy
06/18/2004, 07:56 AM
Hello, I have a 75 gallon mixed reef (mostly SPS and LPS) with a sarcophyton leather softy. I have been dosing 1 gallon of Kalk every night for calcium/Alkalinity maintenance. I became a bit lax with testing as everything has been going along great for 3 years( I know that is a no no). I do keep up with all other maintenance and change 5 gallons weekly.
Now to the question. I recently tested my water and found things quite a mess. My calcium was reading near 300 (Salifert) and alk was about 7.5 (Salifert). I then ordered the gallon jug of B-Ionic 2 part supplement to dose along with my kalk schedule. I have been trying to raise my calcium 1st by using Kents turbo calcium and adding some Sea chem alkalinity booster before starting my B-Ionoc regimen. I continue to dose Kalk nightly. My calcium levels have not budged in 4 days using the Turbo calcium. It recommends 1/4 tsp on a heavily stocked reef . I have even used as much as 1-2 Tsp without effect. Not sure what I am doing wrong trying to raise the calcium level 1st. Should I just start adding the 2 part B-ionic to raise the levels along with the kalk or continue trying to use the turbo calcium 1st? I do not have a magnesium test kit so I am not sure what those levels are.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/18/2004, 08:03 AM
You just need to add a ton of calcium supplements to raise calcium that much. Forget the directions and use this calculator:

Reef Chemicals Calculator
http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

To raise calcium by 120 ppm in a 75 gallon tank, you need 94 grams (about 18 teaspoons) of calcium chloride, such as the Turbo Calcium.

Froggy
06/18/2004, 08:13 AM
Ok. Thank you I did not know if I could overdose on the calcium etc by adding so much at one time. Looks like I have some scooping to do:D

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/18/2004, 08:19 AM
No worry about overdosing, assuming the calcium measurement is correct.

Dissolve it is some fresh water and add it all at once (or split into 2 over 2 days) to a high flow area, preferably in a sump.

Good luck!

Froggy
06/18/2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks alot Randy!! I did what you recommended this morning and I just took a reading this evening for Calcium and it read 390 PPM and Alk wat at 9.0 :D Things are definitely looking better. I dissolved the turbo calcium ( 15 Tsp) in water and added to high flow area of sump. Now I should be able to keep up with things by dosing both Kalk and B-Ionic. Thanks again

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/18/2004, 05:30 PM
You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)