PDA

View Full Version : Chloramine

Reef Bass
06/17/2004, 02:11 PM
I've done some searching on chloramine and I am somewhat confused (or more so than usual anyway).

I know my municipal water is treated with chloramine. Can I trust that my "under the sink" RO unit is removing it? If not, what should I look for in a replacement?

If chloramine is getting into my tank, can I use Amqel to neutralize it? I see varying reports on its safety. I don't have any sponges that might be affected.

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/17/2004, 02:18 PM
An RO will leave the ammonia, but a properly functioning RO/DI should take care of it.

This article should detail all that you need to know about chloramine:

Chloramine and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/index.htm

Taxman2
06/17/2004, 06:44 PM
Some filter companies sell a Chloramine filter. I just bought one for my RO/DI unit.

mfinn
06/17/2004, 07:14 PM
What about a product like Start Right? Is it really all that bad?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/17/2004, 08:12 PM
I do not know what start right is.

In our testing, special RO/DI filters were not needed for chloramine. Normal RO/DI units were adequate.

Taxman2
06/17/2004, 08:38 PM
I have had problems with my tank from the start and have done everything possible to my knowledge to fix it. I have even asked and talked to Eric B. And he was as stumped as I was. I added the Chloramine filter as a last resort really. I live in a Rural area that is now over populated for our water system. So there is no telling what they are doing to help the plant clean the water. So I added the filter. It's only been used for top off and 1 water change so far in the last week. Maybe in a month or so I will see some changes.
I hope so anyway.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/18/2004, 06:01 AM
OK, I hope that it does help. It is easy enough to test the water for chloramine, both before and after the RO/DI if that concerns you. :)

Taxman2
06/18/2004, 07:31 AM
Is it a test kit? I am assuming it is. But I would hate to buy a kit to use 1 -2 times and then let it go to waist.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/18/2004, 07:35 AM
Yes, it is a kit. It costs about $60, although you can get much cheaper ones. It is described in the article.