PDA

View Full Version : pH woes

peter81
06/17/2004, 06:52 AM
The AA site wasn't working so I couldnt get your chemistry article so I thought why not ask the man himself.

Ive always had a low pH in my tank, usually in the region of 7.7 (salifert test kit). I thought it couldve been a co2 problem but my windows have been left wide open for the past couple of months since the weather has been getting better, and it also cools my tank. My Ca is usually in the region of 440-460 ppm, and dkH had always been in the region of 7-9 which I understand to be low for my Ca level. I also dose 1 gallon worth of kalk into my tank via a LiterMeter every day.

Something I did notice today is that when I was testing my kh, instead of swirling the solution for a couple of seconds like usual, I swirled it for much longer (10 seconds or so) and found that the color always changed back. I'm not sure if youre familiar with them but I also added another .5 ml ontop of the 1ml to the solution and that still didnt change the color permanetly. Well, it would change the color initially for a while but after say 10 seconds it would revert back to the original color. So if this is the way that youre suppose to swirl the solution, that would suggest my dkh would in the mid 20s range. If thats true (or possible for htat matter), could that be whats affecting my ph? I tried doing the extra long swirling time with my Ca test kit but it didnt do the same.

A description of my tank that might be relevant: 20 gallon with 20 gallon sump/refugium, needle pinwheel skimmer, io salt, I would add Seachems Reef Complete every once in a while to keep up with the Ca use, no other supplements, all tests done with salifert kits

It doesnt seem to have any bad effects on my tank but I'm sure my tank could do better with a proper ph value. I used to keep mostly sps but a recent tank flood killed everything in the top 4/5ths of my tank. But hte tank parameters are still the same as they were before. Id like to get things on the right track before diving back into the sps. But I would think with all that kalk the ph would at least be over 8! Even my tap water has a ph of 7.8 according to the local water report, and my fresh water kits.

Thanks for your time,
Long time lurker, first time poster :)

Habib
06/17/2004, 07:04 AM
Peter:

My 5,000th post is for you. :D

usually in the region of 7.7 (salifert test kit).

More than a year ago we had some batches which went bad too fat giving lower than actual pH values.

If you can post the batch number from the reagent's bottle I can let you know if it is good or bad one. :)

peter81
06/17/2004, 07:11 AM
I feel so special :D

DA-3634

Could you also tell me about the swirling time I was talking about above on the kh kit? Should I quit after a couple of seconds or should I just keep going and going.

Habib
06/17/2004, 07:19 AM
I feel so special

You're welcome. :lol:

DA-3634

That is a bad one and approx. 1.5 years old.

I see you are in Canada.

Please e-mail me your name the name of the MO or LFS where you get Salifert kits from. Also if it is a LFS the phone# and if it is a MO a link to it.

I'll make a phone call and arrange that they send one or if it is a LFS you can collect it there.

FWIW it is free of charge.

Should I quit after a couple of seconds or should I just keep going and going.

A few seconds is enough. :)

peter81
06/17/2004, 07:29 AM
Oh wow, that is so kind of you. Great customer service, thats for sure :) I guess all this time I've been worrying about nothing. It wont let me get access to your email, you'll have to tell it to me. Thanks

Habib
06/17/2004, 07:39 AM
I guess all this time I've been worrying about nothing

I'm really sorry. :(

e-mail: salifert@hotmail.com

Habib
06/17/2004, 07:54 AM
BTW:

[welcome]

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/17/2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks, Habib. I'm glad you used that 5,000th post here. :)

Habib
06/17/2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
Thanks, Habib. I'm glad you used that 5,000th post here. :)

You're welcome. :)

Yes, I reserved the 5,000th for this forum. :)