PDA

View Full Version : How long does RO/DI water last?

CaliforniaDreamer
06/16/2004, 01:58 PM
I am looking for advice on the retention prosperities of RO/DI water. I have read through How a TDS meter Works (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/index.htm) and understand that the TDS meter can't tell me if the RO/DI water is leaching organics, plastics, ... from the container in which it is stored. It also cannot detect any buildup of bacteria in the water. In other forums the opinion has been expressed that RO/DI water is particularly good at picking up contaminants. I guess my questions are

1. How long can you store RO/DI water in a covered plastic garbage can and still have that water be safe to use in a reef aquarium?

2. Should the storage container contain any method of water movement? If so what is best, filtered air or PH?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/16/2004, 02:17 PM
I've stored it for weeks and haven't worried. Just closed and unstirred and unheated.

CaliforniaDreamer
06/16/2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
I've stored it for weeks and haven't worried. Just closed and unstirred and unheated.

Thanks Randy, I appreciate the info. That is how I store it and havn't had problems yet. Thanks again.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/16/2004, 02:35 PM
You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)