PDA

View Full Version : High Alk/Low pH

mardemp
06/15/2004, 08:15 PM
I am so frustrated with triing to maintain my pH at around 8.2 to 8.3. I started using a GEO calcium reactor three months ago and ever since I can not maintain pH over 8.0,(Co2=8 BPM and effluent=15 drops per min, effluent pH= 6.6). In the mornings it can run as low as 7.8. My calcium is 380 and I have been supplimenting with Seachem calcium. My alk is over 16 (high as my test goes). I run a auto top off system with RO/DI water which probably compounds the problem. I added a second chamber to the calc reactor two days ago in the hopes it would allow the pH to rise but no changes so far. Any suggestions?

dragon_slayer
06/15/2004, 08:21 PM
you should use a very large water change to get things back into a closer ballance and then Correctly setup the reactor. that would save you allot of headach.

reading Randy's artical Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm) is also a good idea.

then give This How To Artical (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=280512&perpage=25&pagenumber=2) a look over for help on the proper setup of a CaCO3/CO2 reactor.

hth
kc

mardemp
06/15/2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks,
I have been doing weekly water changes on my tank approx15 % but maybe I need to be doing larger ones. I have read both articles/forum but probable need to review them again. Hopefully after a large water change and some recalabration on the reactor things will be closer to normal values! Thanks afain,
Marie

dragon_slayer
06/15/2004, 08:48 PM
and i almost forgot throw out the seachem buffer and dont add it to the tank anymore. it's most likely whats causing your problems in the first place. :)

kc

hammerhead
06/15/2004, 09:05 PM
You need to do one thing at a time. Start dialing in you ALK. I have a Geo.

Increase the Effluent PH TO 7.1 and test the ALK every 12hrs when this gets down to 10 you will need to dose some calcium go get some B-IONIC part 2 and raise the level to what you want it to be. Once you have the levels you want cal 450 Alk 10 this is when you need to play with the reactor. The more BPM you have the lower the PH will be. The more drip rate you have the higher the PH will be. Let me know if you need more help.

dragon_slayer
06/15/2004, 09:10 PM
hammerhead

no offence but you have it compleatly backwards, you allways set a reactor to the demands of the system, Then adjust the Ca/Alk to the levels you want them at, the reactor will then keep them there, if you go adding this and that before you'll never get it set right and you'll go crazy trying.

kc

hammerhead
06/15/2004, 09:16 PM
Thats not what the way my tank runs on a geo. You always set the tank to what you want it to be then adjut the reactor. It also states this in my directions from Geo. Quote adjust your ALK and CAL levels to the desired levels then start adjusting the BPM AND DRIPRATE.

mardemp
06/15/2004, 09:16 PM
KC-through out my buffer, thanks, thought that would be a bad idea so I have not been using it just the seachem calcium (don't think that has buffer in it just calcium right?)
Hammerhead-I appriciate your clarification on things especially BPM and drip rate influences on pH!

hammerhead
06/15/2004, 09:33 PM
This is the Effluent PH not the tanks PH. I have my reactor with 30 bpm and my driprate is 125mls per min. Your tank will be differant. The directions say to start at 35mls pm drip and 30 bpm. Let the reactor run for 12-24hrs between each adjustment then measure.

dragon_slayer
06/15/2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by hammerhead
............. The directions say to ............

directions are just the manufactures suggested way you use their product, they are by no means the correct way. to each their own i guess.

kc

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/16/2004, 07:01 AM
started using a GEO calcium reactor three months ago and ever since I can not maintain pH over 8.0

Low pH is an unfortunate fact of life when using a CaCO3/CO2 reactor. However, a pH of 8.0 is not a big problem, if the pH doesn't go lower than that in the early morning hours.

If you want to raise the pH, using a buffer is not the way. It ends up not raising pH much, and pushes alkalinity too high.

So you need to bring down the alkalinity first. One way is a water change. Another way is by adding calcium chloride. This article details those methods:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Then if you still want to raise pH, using limewater and more aeration with fresh air are the best ways to accomplish it. This article will help:

Solutions to pH Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/chem.htm

Also, before you do anything drastic, I'd confirm the pH meter operation with borax:

Borax pH Calibration
http://web.archive.org/web/20021015005420/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/2000/feb/bio/default.asp

Finally, I'd suggest getting an actual alkalinity reading by adding more titrant. That will help you gauge the alkalinity problem and monitor the fixing of it.

mardemp
06/16/2004, 12:03 PM
Randy thanks for all the info. I read over the three articles you mentioned. Hopefully I will be turning things around soon. As we speak my pH is now 7.9 during the day so I had better get going!
Marie

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/16/2004, 12:05 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)