PDA

View Full Version : should i drip kalk?

cozmo1
06/15/2004, 05:14 PM
hello randy,
i have been using the b-ionic 2 part system for about 3 months now and my calcium is 440ppm and my dkh is 10*. all my other params are fine. do i need to drip kalk? my tank contains: 1 derasa clam(5"), 2 squamies(3"each) and several leathers and several lps corals. i am starting to purchase monti cap frags and i am wondering should i or do i need to drip kalk? right now i dose 40ml each part of the b-ionic additives. after adding the monties, will i be able to keep my calcium and alk levels up with just the 2 part additives or will i have to add kalk to the mix?
thank you for your help.

gtrestoration
06/15/2004, 06:06 PM
Cozmo...

You can start a lime water drip as a supplement. But until your tank is consuming more of the alk and calcium you would need to reduce the 2 part if what you are adding is maintaining the levels at 10 dkh and 400 ppm.

So if you are asking... Is it ok to mix your supplements? Yes it's fine.

I drip 4 gallons daily and still must add baking soda and calcium chloride.

Steve U

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/15/2004, 07:17 PM
You can maintain any sort of tank with any demand using the two part systems, as long as you can afford it. The biggest advantages of limewater are cost (over commercial two parts anyway) and that you need not be around to dose (although you can automatically dose the two parts as well).

This article compares limewater, the two part systems, and some other methods:

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

cozmo1
06/16/2004, 09:18 AM
cool.
thank you both for the help.
have a good day!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/16/2004, 09:31 AM
:thumbsup:

Good luck!