PDA

View Full Version : Next steps for my 55g tank.

ssyba1
09/26/2001, 02:32 PM
Hi everyone. I sure have enjoyed reading alot of the messages on this board as I am continuing to learn about salt water tanks. I am wondering what the next steps should be for me on my FOWLR tank. Here are my specs:

55 gal 48" Glass tank
2" Aragonite bed
65 lbs of Live Rock with bunches of corelein algea and other
5 scarlet hermit crabs (the LFS convinced me before i read all the complaints on this board!!!, but they are fun to watch)
3-4 snails that came with the rock.
Remora Pro with Mag 3 Pump
Some small carbon "whisper filter" that came with the tank
A couple powerheads that came with the tank (no clue on the rating)
2 46.5" URI VHO (1 50/50, 1 Actinic) on a Icecap 660 balast

1.022 salinity
8.4ish PH
I need to get the water checked further, b/c i have no clue what my other levels are.

The LFS talked me into buying Calcium and Stonium for the corelein algea growth, but i haven't added any yet (i don't know my current calcium levels)

History: Set up and cylced/cured live rock 2 months ago. Added aragonite & skimmer 1 month ago. Added hermits and VHO lighting last week. I have been topping off with tap, but now i know that is a mistake, so I am going to buy some Distilled water today for future top offs. I hope to post pictures soon so you guys can help me identify some of the cool stuff growing on my rocks (some yellow poofy thing, some spotted round looking things...)

What is the next step? Am I ready for fish? Am I ready for "easy" corals/sponges? Thanks in advance!!!

budhaboy
09/26/2001, 02:43 PM
to start with go get the test kits and check for metals and such- tap water has all sorts of nasty stuff that will settle and releach back into the water table.(dont know about your home but I live in an OLD building and the water pipes are copper and thats BAD invertabrates and corals will not live in a tank with copper in it for very long)

Fresno State Reefer
09/26/2001, 02:50 PM
Can your LFS test your water???

You don't need to add anything to a FOWLR tank, but I'd do a 5 gal. water change every two weeks. I have good coraline growth just with regular water changes, be patient it took six months after I set up my tank for the the coarline to really going.

Good rule of thumb concerning additives, if you can't test it don't add it.

Take back you chemicals and buy a few test kits. Or if the store can test your water let them do it.

:D

Tadashi
09/26/2001, 03:30 PM
You will not need the additives for your FOWLR tank as long as you conduct periodic WC. I generally do 15% once a month but 10% every two weeks is good also.

Scarlet hermits are good. I am not sure what you have been reading. Do not get red leg hermits.

Verify the species of the misc snails on the rock. You do not want to keep predatory whelks. I suggest getting trochus, astrea, margarita, cerith, and nassarious snails. I am a firm believer in diverity.

I would increase the sandbed to at least 4".

Get the water tested. Usually if you have been buying from a LFS they will test your water for free.

I would look into investing into a RO/DI unit and a atuo-top off unit. Since you do not have a sump I suggest the AT-1. i have pics at my site. I used it for my 55-gal so that I would only have to add EVAP every two weeks. The AT-1 replenished it from the reservior daily.

Yellow poofy things are probably ball sponge. Look at my web site for links. I have a hitchhiker's link that will help you ID some of this stuff. I also suggest you look at my library for some books to get.

When you add fish go slow. No more than 2 3" fish at a time. Then wait a couple weeks to allow the tank to balance. Test water levels this will give you an indicator of when you have readed your max bioload. With 120lbs of LS, 120 lbs of LR I was able to keep about 9 fish without problems (algae blooms, cyano, or nitrates).

Are you doing a FOWLR or a Reef tank? (you asked about corals) if a reef then keep the supplements. You may not need them but when used properly they can help (probably like us taking a daily vitamin - not needed but beneficial).

Your tank is ready now for some corals. If you go the coral route add two more bulbs to yoru 660. A leather and mushrooms are generally pretty easy. Although I hate it when my mushrooms get too prolific. I had to scrape a bunch off the rocks the other day.

Sorry for being so long winded. The usual disclaimer - there are many different ways to keep a tank successfully, this is just what I would do. Have fun.