PDA

View Full Version : xanthias or zanthias clownfish?

zoe88
09/26/2001, 01:49 PM
I just bought a clownfish that I was told is a xanthias or zanthias clownfish. It is a really dark red, almost black. Does anyone know what it is and have any information on them?

Thanks,
Lisa

dignitude
09/26/2001, 02:04 PM
hello, well there isn't a xanthias or zanthias clownfish (at least not in Clownfishes by joyce wilkerson), but what does it look like? how many stripes does it have? does it look like anything else they were selling?

budhaboy
09/26/2001, 02:08 PM
If it doesnt have any markings or stripes it sounds alot like what my LFS call a Cinnamon Clown( another store here calls them Fire Clowns) dont really know too much about them I believe they are a hybrid, and I was told they arent quite as aggressive compared to many others but again this is only what I've heard/been told- probably doesnt help you much but I hope it does anyway

zoe88
09/26/2001, 02:09 PM
The thing is, I haven't seen it yet. I wanted to order a black percula clown fish online but they were out. They told me they had this other fish that was similar but is a very dark red, almost black. They don't have this fish listed on the web site so I can't go check it out. I'll be receiving it tomorrow and will let you know.

- Lisa

percula
09/26/2001, 02:33 PM
Ummm... what kind of clownfish? Right, can these stores just name the things what they are.... jeez... - perc

zoe88
09/27/2001, 02:44 PM
So the clown fish arrived. He has three white stripes is really dark red and has a yellow tail. Any idea what he might be?

dignitude
09/27/2001, 03:52 PM
it may be a clarks clownfish- or maybe they really did have dark percula clownfish in stock

ranaman
09/27/2001, 05:42 PM
Xanthurus is an old name for good old A. clarkii or sometimes call sebae. Your fish sounds like the black morph of this fish. I did just find what I hope are black ocellaris clowns locally here is a pic taken at a LFS in germany.

schemo
09/28/2001, 07:25 AM
ranaman, what part of germany you from if you are there?

ranaman
09/28/2001, 04:17 PM
I live down in Florida. I visited my sister who lives outside Stuttgart. The name of the LFS was Kolle Zoo if anyone is interested. They have a website http://www.koelle-zoo.de