PDA

View Full Version : 108 mS!!!! Is it possible?

gucer
06/13/2004, 09:01 PM
Just got a PinPiont salinity monitor, run the calibration routine according the instructions and using the 53mS liquid included.
But in my tank, it reads 108-109 mS. I have always used my Aquarium Systems hydrometer and it reads 1024.
Then I tried the homemade conductivity standard using MortonĀ“s iodized salt and the equipement reads 56mS, close enough to the calibration liquid included.
So it seems to be true, but I wonder if that is not incompatible with life?
This is a Picture of my tank from today.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/24420103_0307.JPG

What should I do?

bertoni
06/13/2004, 09:19 PM
Are you running the meter with batteries? Sometimes equipment will interfere with the probe.

You could take a cupful of water from the tank, and measure it in the same area, etc., you measured the standards.

I wouldn't do anything to the tank, yet, personally.

gucer
06/13/2004, 09:33 PM
bertoni: No, I am running it with ac adapter.
I did the measure as you suggest with a cupful of water from the tank and now it reads 50.9 mS!!!!
The other readings were made in the sump.
Now I feel more confortable, but what could be the reason for such a big "interference"?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/14/2004, 06:55 AM
Try the sump again and see if it reads high again. If so, I'd suggest reporting it to Lou Dell from American Marine to let him know that there is a concern. FWIW, I've noly heard of such issues with pH meters, not conductivity, but I can imagine it might happen with conductivity as well.

gucer
06/14/2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your reply!!
The problem seems to be the proximity of the ballast, becouse when the lights are turned off the meter works well.
I will send a message to the person you suggest at American Marine.

Thanks again

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/14/2004, 10:29 AM
You're welcome.

Happy reefing. :)