PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium

hwynboy
06/13/2004, 03:08 PM
Eric,

Can you comment on the importance of supplementing Magnesium in your tank for coral health/growth? Also if it is necessary which brand of test kit is the most effective? I have heard that the test kits for Mag are not very accurate.

Rich

EricHugo
06/14/2004, 09:00 AM
I would refer you to Randy's forum for this question. I'll move you.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/14/2004, 09:35 AM
These articles may help. The first has a lot more detailed information than the second:

Magnesium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters (a summary general article)
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

from the second one:

"Magnesium

Magnesium's primary importance is its interaction with the calcium and alkalinity balance in reef aquaria. Seawater and reef aquarium water are always supersaturated with calcium carbonate. That is, the solution's calcium and carbonate levels exceed the amount that the water can hold at equilibrium. How can that be? Magnesium is a big part of the answer. Whenever calcium carbonate begins to precipitate, magnesium binds to the growing surface of the calcium carbonate crystals. The magnesium effectively clogs the crystals' surface so that they no longer look like calcium carbonate, making them unable to attract more calcium and carbonate, so the precipitation stops. Without the magnesium, the abiotic (nonbiological) precipitation of calcium carbonate would likely increase enough to prohibit the maintenance of calcium and alkalinity at natural levels.

For this reason, I suggest targeting the natural seawater concentration of magnesium: ~1285 ppm. For practical purposes, 1250-1350 ppm is fine, and levels slightly outside that range (1200-1400 ppm) are also likely acceptable. I would not suggest raising magnesium by more than 100 ppm per day, in case the magnesium supplement contains impurities. If you need to raise it by several hundred ppm, spreading the addition over several days will allow you to more accurately reach the target concentration, and might possibly allow the aquarium to handle any impurities that the supplement contains.

An aquarium's corals and coralline algae can deplete magnesium by incorporating it into their growing calcium carbonate skeletons. Many methods of supplementing calcium and alkalinity may not deliver enough magnesium to maintain it at a normal level. Settled limewater (kalkwasser), in particular, is quite deficient in magnesium. Consequently, magnesium should be measured occasionally, particularly if the aquarium's calcium and alkalinity levels seem difficult to maintain. Aquaria with excessive abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate on objects such as heaters and pumps might suffer from low magnesium levels (along with high pH, calcium, and alkalinity)."

hwynboy
06/16/2004, 10:03 AM
Randy any test kit better than another? I have heard that these tests are unreliable in the hobby. Can you give me your take on that. Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/16/2004, 11:06 AM
I've not tested any carefully, but I've used and like the Hach and Salifert kits.