PDA

View Full Version : Sump for a 20 Gallon Reef?

Hound
06/13/2004, 12:20 PM
OK man I now understand that u really cant do these things the cheapway so im goin to do it the right way.....I need help understanding and seting up a sump for my tank ....i have a extra 10 gallon tank and a extra 5 gallon tank and that is about it.How do i go about setting this up? I understand the benifets of the sump are easier water changes ...easier adding stuff and topping off the tank plus all the benefical micro organisims that will build in it(hopefully with it i can have a mandarin). If anyone can help this newb settin up a sump for a 20 gallon with in mind im limited to the amount of money i can spend. Any suggestions.........

PITSTOP
06/13/2004, 12:30 PM
go have the 20 gallkon drilled for an overflow and return (typically $15 - $20 per hole), or buy an overflow box on eBay - type "aquarium overflow" in the search bar. Buy a good protien skimmer, used, or Marinedepot.com...read article in current reefkeeping magazine on what chemicals to monitor and add to your reed....alkalinity and calcium...

tanker
06/13/2004, 12:41 PM
There is a difference between a sump and a refugium. The sump does add more water to your system but is really used to keep heater, skimmer, ect away from the main tank. I do dose into my sump though. It also increases O2 because of the extra water movement. My sump does not really help me with my water changes because it is on the ground and hard to siphon water out of it. I still change water by removing water from tank.

To have beneficial organisims growing you need a "refugy". This is not a sump but can be use as one. I think you understand the idea of a refugy--right??

PS--IMO a 20gal even with a 10gal refugy is too small for a mandarin. You can always buy extra organisims to feed it but that can get expensive.

Hound
06/13/2004, 01:06 PM
Is there a way to build a refugy/sump with a 10 gallon without drilling holes?

Hound
06/13/2004, 01:09 PM
i really dont mind having my skimmer/Heater in the main tank i dont see a big issue besides the looks. I would like a skimmer/filter unit if anyone has any suggestions? With that in mind how do i set up a 5 -10 gallon refugy? really would like to stick with the 5.