PDA

View Full Version : Iron based phosphate removers and iron.

JoeMack
06/12/2004, 12:13 AM
I'm using phosban and am wondering if could be adding a little iron into the water? I know the aluminum kinds can put aluminum in the water. Maybe it might help my macros grow? But without phosphates they would grow slower anyway. Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/12/2004, 07:09 AM
It could be adding iron, yes. That is a possible benefit that I have not looked into in detail, but I do believe that it is very likely that a little bit comes off, and that little bit may be beneficial.

Aged Salt
06/12/2004, 08:21 AM
Hi Randy, just wondering out loud:) if the ferric oxide removers actually deplete iron in addition to absorbing PO4's. I believe what he's noting is actual iron dust/sediment from the media,Bob

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/12/2004, 08:00 PM
I don't think that it is very likely tht they actually precipitate iron, since most available iron in aquaria is probably organically bound, but it is possible. In many respects, it is hard to distinguish very small particulates from dissolved iron. I do know that Habib's product (Phosphate Killer) does release some iron that is able to get through fine filtration. Whether it is actually dissolved, or just verysmall particles isn't clear to me. Also, that isn't in tank water, but slightly saline fresh water.

Habib
06/14/2004, 05:49 AM
In many respects, it is hard to distinguish very small particulates from dissolved iron.

The first rinse removes what might be soluble iron. It is debatable if it is soluble but IMO it is.

After that there should hardly be any soluble iron.